The Role of Statistics Education in the Big Data Era
With the increasing availability and trendiness of “big data”, data science has become a fast growing discipline. Data analysis techniques are shifting from classical statistical inferences to algorithmic machine learnings. Will the rise of data science lead to the fall of statistics? If education is the key to defend statistics as a discipline, what should statisticians teach to respond to the challenges brought by big data? This paper aims to provide the current situation of data science and statistics programs within the higher education sector in Australia and some personal thoughts on statistics education in this era.
KeywordsStatistics teaching Data science Small data
Helpful comments from three reviewers are greatly appreciated.
- 1.Anderson, C.: The End of Theory: The Data Deluge Makes the Scientific Method Obsolete (2008). https://www.wired.com/2008/06/pb-theory/. Accessed 26 July 2018
- 4.Davenport, T., Patil, D.: Data scientist: the sexiest job of the 21st century. Harvard Bus. Rev. 90, 70–76 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Dua, D., Karra Taniskidou, E.: UCI machine learning repository (2017). http://archive.ics.uci.edu/ml. Accessed 6 Oct 2018
- 15.SCImago: SJR-SCImago Journal & Country Rank. http://www.scimagojr.com. Accessed 26 July 2018
- 22.Zieffler, A., Garfield, J., Alt, S., Dupuis, D., Holleque, K., Chang, B.: What does research suggest about the teaching and learning of introductory statistics at the college level? A review of the literature. J. Stat. Educ. 16, 2 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1080/10691898.2008.11889566CrossRefGoogle Scholar