Moral Formation in Catholic Religious Education: Insights from the Fourth Gospel
In chapter seven of the Apostolic Exhortation Amoris Laetitia, dedicated to reflecting “Towards a better education of children,” Pope Francis (Post-Synodal apostolic exhortation Amoris Laetitia, on love in the family, 2016) makes a compelling argument that the purpose of true education is the development of the child to become the man and woman of tomorrow.
- Brant, J. A. (2004). Dialogue and drama: Elements of Greek tragedy in the fourth Gospel. Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers.Google Scholar
- Breck, J. (1992). John 21: Epilogue or conclusion? St. Vladimir’s Theological Quarterly, 36, 27–49.Google Scholar
- Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments. (1987). Rite of Christian initiation of adults. Retrieved from http://www.catholicliturgy.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/documentText/Index/14/SubIndex/0/ContentIndex/540/Start/539.
- Culpepper, R. A. (1975). The Johannine School: an evaluation of the Johannine School hypothesis based on an investigation of the nature of ancient schools. Missoula: Society of Biblical Literature.Google Scholar
- Delicata, N. (2016). Paideia tou Kyriou: From origen to medieval exegesis. Didaskalia, 27, 31–64.Google Scholar
- Griffith Thomas, W. H. (1968). The purpose of the Fourth Gospel, Part I. Bibliotheca Sacra, 125, 254–262.Google Scholar
- Guardini, R. (2001). The End of the modern world. (Rev. ed.). Wilmington, DE: ISI Books.Google Scholar
- Lukken, G. M. (1973). Original sin in the roman liturgy: Research into the theology of original sin in the Roman sacramentaria and the early baptismal liturgy. Lieden: E. J. Brill.Google Scholar
- MacIntyre, A. (2007). After virtue: A study in moral theory (3rd ed.). University of Notre Dame Press.Google Scholar
- Marrou, H. I. (1982). A history of education in antiquity (Reprint ed.). Madison, WI: University of Wisconsin Press.Google Scholar
- Origen. (1989, 1993). Commentary on the gospel according to John. In The fathers of the Church (Ronald E. Heine, trans. Vols. 80 and 89). Washington, DC: Catholic University of America Press.Google Scholar
- Phelan, J. (2014). Narrative ethics. In The living handbook of narratology. Retrieved from:http://www.lhn.uni-hamburg.de/article/narrative-ethics.
- Pope Francis. (2013). Apostolic exhortation Evangelii Gaudium on the proclamation of the gospel in today’s world. Retrieved from http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/en/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20131124_evangelii-gaudium.html#The_joy_of_the_gospel.
- Pope Francis. (2016). Post-Synodal apostolic exhortation Amoris Laetitia, on love in the family. Retrieved from https://w2.vatican.va/content/dam/francesco/pdf/apost_exhortations/documents/papa-francesco_esortazione-ap_20160319_amoris-laetitia_en.pdf.
- Ricoeur, P. (1984). Time and narrative (Vol. 1). Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Schneiders, S. M. (2003). Written that you may believe: Encountering Jesus in the fourth gospel. New York: Crossroad.Google Scholar
- Taylor, C. (1992). The ethics of authenticity. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Taylor, C. (2007). A secular age. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- van Tilborg, S. (1993). Imaginative love in John. New York: E. J. Brill.Google Scholar