Pilgrimages: Fruitful Sources of Faith Formation for Catholic Student Teachers?
The School of Education at the University of Glasgow has a mission to Catholic education in Scotland, and is sole provider of teachers for the large Catholic state school sector. As an element of the faith formation of Catholic initial teacher education (ITE) students, several pilgrimages took place in academic session 2016–2017: two to Rome and three to Lourdes (with HCPT—The Pilgrimage Trust), involving 45 students, accompanied by the Coordinator of Spiritual and Pastoral Formation and other staff.
- Aziz, B. N. (2015). Personal dimensions of the sacred journey: What pilgrims say. In A. Norman & C. M. Cusack (Eds.), Religion, pilgrimage and tourism: Critical concepts in religious studies (Vol. 1, pp. 56–70). London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Catechism of the Catholic Church. (1993). Vatican City: Libreria Editrice Vaticana.Google Scholar
- Cavanagh, S. (1997). Content analysis: Concepts, methods and applications. Nursing Research, 4, 5–16. Retrieved from http://journals.lww.com/nursingresearchonline/pages/default.aspx.
- Coleman, S., & Elsner, J. (1995). Pilgrimage: Past and present: Sacred travel and sacred space in the world religions. London: British Museum Press.Google Scholar
- Coll, R. (2009). From theory to practice: The experiences of catholic probationary teachers. Journal of Research on Christian Education, 18(2). https://doi.org/10.1080/10656210903046408.
- Congregation for Catholic Education. (1988). The religious dimension of education in a Catholic school. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_19880407_catholic-school_en.html.
- Congregation for Catholic Education. (2007). Educating together in Catholic schools: A shared mission between consecrated persons and the lay faithful. Retrieved from http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_20070908_educare-insieme_en.html.
- Doherty, E., Carcary, M., Ramsay, E., & Ibbotson, P. (2015). The importance of ‘e’ in mixed methods research: Development of an SME framework to leverage value from IT. In V. Cassar & F. Bezzina (Eds.), ECRM2015 Proceedings of the 14th European Conference on Research Methods. Reading, UK: Academic Conferences and Publishing International Ltd.Google Scholar
- Eade, J., & Sallnow, M. J. (1991). Contesting the sacred: The anthropology of Christian pilgrimage. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Frey, N. L. (2004). Stories of the return: Pilgrimage and its aftermaths. In E. Badone & S. Roseman (Eds.), Intersecting journeys: The anthropology of pilgrimage and tourism (pp. 89–109). Urbana, Illinois: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Hogg, A. (2003). Web efforts energize customer research. Electric Perspectives, September–October, pp. 81–83. Retrieved from http://www.eei.org/resourcesandmedia/magazine/Pages/default.aspx.
- Holmes-Rodman, P. E. (2004). They told what happened on the road. In E. Badone & S. Roseman (Eds.), Intersecting journeys: The anthropology of pilgrimage and tourism (pp. 24–48). Urbana, Illinois: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Kaplowitz, M. D., Hadlock,T. D., & Levine, R. (2004). A comparison of web and mail survey response rates. Public Opinion Quarterly, 68, 94–101. Retrieved from https://academic.oup.com/poq/pages/about.
- Khazaal, Y., van Singer, M., Chatton, A., Achav, S., Zullino, D., Rothen, S., et al. (2014). Does self-selection affect samples’ representativeness in online surveys? An investigation in online video game research. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 16(7). https://doi.org/10.2196/jmir.2759.
- Krueger, R. A., & Casey, M. A. (2015). Focus groups: A practical guide for applied research (5th ed.). Singapore: SAGE.Google Scholar
- Pope Francis. (2013). Evangelii Gaudium: The joy of the Gospel. Vatican City: Libreria Editrice Vaticana.Google Scholar
- Pope Paul VI. (1975). Evangelii Nuntiandi: On evangelisation in the modern world. Retrieved from http://w2.vatican.va/content/paul-vi/en/apost_exhortations/documents/hf_p-vi_exh_19751208_evangelii-nuntiandi.html.
- Rymarz, R. (2007). The impact of world youth day: A twelve month follow-up of under-18 Australian WYD 2005 participants. Australasian Catholic Record, 84(4), 387–400.Google Scholar
- Sacred Congregation for Catholic Education. (1982). Lay Catholics in schools: Witnesses to faith. Retrieved from: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con_ccatheduc_doc_19821015_lay-catholics_en.html.
- SoGo surveys. https://www.sogosurvey.com/.
- Turner, V., & Turner, E. L. B. (1978). Image and pilgrimage in Christian culture: Anthropological perspectives. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Ward, B. (1982). Miracles and the medieval mind: Theory, record, and event, 1000-1215. Aldershot: Scolar Press.Google Scholar