Dual-Mode Wide Band Microstrip Bandpass Filter with Tunable Bandwidth and Controlled Center Frequency for C-Band Applications
This paper presents a unique approach for designing dual-mode wide band BPF with tunable bandwidth and controlled center frequency for C-band (4–8 GHz) applications. The proposed filter is designed using radial stub-loaded dual-mode λg/2 resonator to get wide passband. The dual-mode behavior of the resonator, i.e., odd- and even-mode resonance frequencies are realized by inserting a radial stub at the center of the resonator and further the size of filter is reduced by folding the resonator. A modified feed structure which embraces the two arms of the resonator is used to obtain two transmission zeros in upper stop band. By keeping all calculated dimensions of filter fixed and by varying only radial angle θ (in degrees) of radial line stub, FBW is tuned while controlling center frequency. From simulation results, it is observed that the designed filter has very good passband characteristics, a wide 3-dB passband from 4.4 to 7.8 GHz with center frequency at 6 GHz, fractional bandwidth of 56.6%, return loss S11 more than 13 dB, and transmission loss S21 better than 0.3 dB, respectively.
KeywordsSIR—Stepped impedance resonator BPF—Bandpass filter FBW—Fractional bandwidth
The authors would like to thank Mr. Sumit Shatabdi Bharat Electronics limited Bangalore, for his support in this work.
- 2.Tan, B.-T., Yu, J.-J., Chew, S.-T., Leong, M.-S., & Ooi, B.-L. (2005, January). A miniaturized dual-mode ring bandpass filter with a new perturbation. IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, 53(1), 343–345.Google Scholar
- 3.Huang, X.-D., & Cheng, C.-H. (2006, January). A novel coplanar-waveguide bandpass filter using a dual-mode square-ring resonator. IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, 16(1), 13–15.Google Scholar
- 4.Kang, W., Hong, W., & Zhou, J.-Y. (2008, March). Performance improvement and size reduction of Microstrip dual-mode bandpass filter. Electronics Letters, 44(6), 421–422.Google Scholar
- 5.Hong, J.-S., Shaman, H., & Chun, Y.-H. (2007, August). Dual-mode microstrip open-loop resonators and filters. IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, 55(8), 1764–1770.Google Scholar
- 7.Lu, H.-S., Li, Q., Huang, J.-J., Zhang, X.-F., & Yuan, N.-C. (2016, August). Dual-mode dual-band microstrip bandpass filter with high selection performance. In Progress in Electromagnetic Research Symposium (PIERS), Shanghai, China.Google Scholar
- 8.Yao, Z., Wang, C., & Kim, N. Y. (2014). A dual-mode bandpass filter with multiple controllable transmission-zeros using t-shaped stub-loaded resonators. The Scientific World Journal, 6, Article ID 572360.Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, X., & Hu, H. (2011). A miniature dual-mode microstrip bandpass filter at 15.5 GHz. In Cross Strait Quad-Regional Radio Science and Wireless Technology Conference.Google Scholar
- 10.Rabbi, K., & Budimir, D. (2013). Miniaturized dual-mode microstrip bandpass filter with a reconfigurable notched band for UWB applications. In IEEE International Conference 2013. https://doi.org/10.1109/MWSYM.2013.6697586.