Microstructure and Grain Refining Performance of High-Quality Al–5Ti–1B Master Alloy
The chemical composition, microstructure, and grain refining performance of high-quality Al–5Ti–1B master alloy were investigated. The results show that the content of alloying elements Ti and B in the Al–5Ti–1B master alloy is stable. The content of impurity elements Fe, Si, V, and K is very low. The microstructure of Al–5Ti–1B master alloy is uniform, fine and no oxide inclusions. The average size of TiAl3 and TiB2 phases is 16.7 and 0.73 µm, respectively. By adding 0.2 wt% Al–5Ti–1B master alloy, the grain size of pure Al has been refined to 75.7 µm, showing an excellent grain refining efficiency, strong ability to anti-fading and good adaption to a wide range of aluminum-melt temperature.
KeywordsGrain refiner Al–Ti–B master alloy Grain-refining performance Microstructure
We thank the GDAS’ Project of Science and Technology Development (Grants No. 2018GDASCX-0966, 2018GDASCX-0117) and the Science and Technology Planning Project of Guangdong Province, China (Grants No. 2017A070702019, 2017A070701019) for the financial support.
- 3.M. Shi-Guang, X. Hui, W. Zhu-Tang, Review and outlook of output of aluminum product and grain refiner requirement in the world. Light Alloy Fab. Technol. 39(10), 1–9 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.W. Shun-Cheng, Z. Cai-Jin, Q. Wen-Jun, Z. Kai-Hong, L. Jian-Xiang, Quality evaluation of overseas Al-Ti-B grain refiners. Light Alloy Fab. Technol. 39(6), 11–14 (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.X. Chen, Q. Ye, J. Li, C. Liu, Y. Yu, Electromagnetic Induction Electric Melting Furnace for Controlling Average Nominal Diameter of TiB2(TiC) Particle Group in Al-Ti-B (Al-Ti-C) Alloy. CN 201010110166Google Scholar
- 6.X. Chen, Q. Ye, J. Li, C. Liu, Y. Yu, Purification Method of Al-Ti-B Alloy Melt. CN 201010110046Google Scholar
- 7.X. Zhang, X. Chen, J. Li, C. Liu, S. Li, Method for Controlling Variable Quantity of Grain Refining Capability of Aluminum-Titanium-Carbon Alloy During Pressure Processing of Aluminum-Titanium-Carbon Alloy. CN 201010110051Google Scholar
- 8.YS/T 447.1-2002, Aluminium and aluminium alloys grain refiners: Part 1: Al-Ti-B wireGoogle Scholar
- 9.G. Song, D. Shu, W. Lei, H. Yan-Feng, W. Jun, S. Bao-de, Research progress of Al-Ti-B grain refiner. Light Alloy Fab. Technol. 35(12), 7–10 (2007)Google Scholar