End-to-End Latency Optimization in Software Defined LEO Satellite Terrestrial Systems
Leveraging the concept of software-defined network (SDN), the integration of terrestrial and satellite networks improves the scalability and flexibility of networks. But resulting from the instability of satellite systems and ultra-high traffic volume of terrestrial networks, it is challenging to guarantee the end-to-end latency. Two major factors damage end-to-end latency are studied respectively in this paper. The first one is delay fluctuation due to limited resource and uneven traffic distribution of feeder. A load balancing algorithm based on the subset matching problem is proposed to mitigate the fluctuation. The second one is long forwarding latency due to excessive load in terrestrial networks, a resource allocation based on dynamic queue evaluation is proposed to decline the latency. Simulation results show the efficiency of our algorithm.
KeywordsLEO satellite networks End-to-end latency Load balancing Resource allocation
This work was supported by research project of shanghai science and technology commission (Grant No. 17DZ1100702) in China.
- 1.3GPP TR22.822: Study on using Satellite Access in 5G, V0.2.0, February 2018Google Scholar
- 2.3GPP TR38.811: Study on New Radio (NR) to support non terrestrial networks, V0.3.0, December 2017Google Scholar
- 9.Yoon, M.S., Kamal, A.E.: NFV resource allocation using mixed queuing network model In: Global Communications Conference, pp. 1–6. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Bouttier, E., Dhaou, R., Arnal, F., et al.: Analysis of content size based routing schemes in hybrid satellite/terrestrial networks. In: IEEE Global Communications Conference, pp. 1–6 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Qu, X., Duan, Y., Liu, W., et al.: Dynamic load balancing for delay CDF α-percentile optimization with a global view. In: 2015 IEEE 26th Annual International Symposium on Personal, Indoor, and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), pp. 1300–1304. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 18.Cheng, X., Dale, C., Liu, J.: Statistics and social network of youtube videos. In: 2008 16th International Workshop on Quality of Service, IWQoS 2008, pp. 229–238. IEEE (2008)Google Scholar
- 19.Li, X., Tang, F., Chen, L., et al.: A state-aware and load-balanced routing model for LEO satellite networks. In: IEEE Global Communications Conference GLOBECOM 2017, pp. 1–6. IEEE (2017)Google Scholar