Impact of Temperature Characteristics on High-Speed Optical Communication Modules
- 197 Downloads
This paper presents a method to evaluate the impact of temperature characteristics on vertical cavity surface emitting laser (VCSEL) module. As one of the core modules in the optical communication system, the performance of VCSEL strongly influences the communication quality of the high-speed optical communication system. However, it is difficult to directly analyze the temperature change of VCSEL. In order to solve this problem, batches of laser sources have been integrated into the optical communication module, the physical properties of the laser beams then can be easily measured at different temperatures (low temperature −5 °C, room temperature 25 °C and high temperature 70 °C). By analyzing the wavelength, ext. ratio and the margin of eye diagram of these laser beams, we calculate the percentage value which referrers to an engineering experience standard value as the evaluator, to describe the quality of the optical communication system. The performance of communication quality is evaluated under different parameters, including amplitude, emphasis, mode and bias etc. Several tests have been preceded which all obtained the satisfactory results.
KeywordsTemperature characteristics Vertical cavity surface emitting laser Optical communication modules
The research is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 61572509), the research is also supported by the National Key Research and Development Plan (No. 2016YFB0200203).
- 1.Rashed, A.N.Z., Nabih, A.: Current trends of high capacity optical interconnection data link in high performance optical communication systems. I. J. Intell. Syst. Appl. 3, 94–110 (2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Li, T., Liu, L., Lai, M.: An optimization solution of high performance computer communication quality. In: 21st Annual Conference on Computer Engineering and Technology China Computer Federation (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.Westbergh, P., et al.: High-speed 850 nm VCSELs with 28 GHz modulation bandwidth for short reach communication. In: Vertical-Cavity Surface-Emitting Lasers XVII International Society for Optics and Photonics (2013)Google Scholar
- 7.Gustavsson, J.S., et al.: Optimized active region design for high speed 850 nm VCSELs. IEEE J. Quantum Electron. 46(4), 506–512 (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhang, Y., Zhong, J., Zhao, Y., et al.: Temperature characteristics of 850 nm Oxide limited VCSEL. J. Semicond. 26(5), 1024–1027 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Tian, K., et al.: Thermal model and simulation of 850 nm VCSEL 4×4 arrays for applications in optical interconnection system. Semicond. Optoelectron. 31(1), 96–100 (2010)Google Scholar