Parametric Evaluation of Leachate Generated from a Non-engineered Landfill Site and Its Contamination Potential of Surrounding Soil and Water Bodies
Open dumping of municipal solid waste causes environmental degradation including air, soil and groundwater pollution leading to adverse impact on public health. The present study provides the physico-chemical characterization of groundwater, leachate and surface water being affected by the percolation of leachate into aquifers in the study region Solan, Himachal Pradesh. Testing was carried out in two seasons (monsoon season and winter season) to study the effect of leachate contamination on the groundwater. The physico-chemical characterization of groundwater study observed the pH value of groundwater 7.41 in monsoon season and 8.2 in winter season that varied from slightly neutral to alkaline. The total dissolved solids were observed 242 mg/L in monsoon season and 250 mg/L in winter season. The value of sulfate was evaluated as 63 mg/L in monsoon season and 68 mg/L in winter season whereas nitrate, ammoniacal nitrogen, biological oxygen demand and chemical oxygen demand has been found below the detection level. However, the biological oxygen demand and chemical oxygen demand of surface water was found 6.2 and 20 mg/L in monsoon season whereas 6.0 and 22 mg/L in winter season, respectively. The national foundation sanitation method was applied to determine the water quality index in Solan region. It revealed the poor quality of water due to the open dumping, and thus percolation of leachate into the groundwater.
KeywordsGroundwater Heavy metal Leachate Water quality index Soil contamination
Conflict of Interest
On behalf of all authors, the corresponding author states that there is no conflict of interest.
- Akinbile CO, Yusoff M (2011) Assessment of groundwater quality near a municipal landfill in Akure, Nigeria. Int Conf Environ Sci Technol 6:83–87Google Scholar
- Bhalla G, Swamee PK, Kumar A, Bansal A (2012) Assessment of ground water quality near municipal solid waste landfill by an aggregate index method. Int J Environ Sci 2:1409–1503Google Scholar
- CPCB (2013) Status report on municipal solid waste management. Retrieved from http://www.indiaenvironmentportal.org.in/content/374639/status-report-on-municipal-solid-wastemanagement
- Kaushik MK, Sethi S (2007a) Study on ground water contamination due to landfill leachate in India. In: Global conference of production and industrial engineering (CPIE-2007). Dr. B. R. Ambedkar NIT, Jalandhar, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- Kaushik MK, Sethi S (2007b) Solid waste management in Punjab—a study. In: International congress of environmental research (ICER-07). Govt. Geetanjali Girls P. G. College, Bhopal, Dept. of Higher Education, Govt. of M.P., IndiaGoogle Scholar
- Longe EO, Balogun MR (2010) Groundwater quality assessment near a municipal landfill, Lagos, Nigeria. J Appl Sci Eng Technol 2:39–44Google Scholar
- Pillai S, Peter AE, Sunil BM, Shrihari S (2014) Soil pollution near a municipal solid waste disposal site in India. In: International conference on biological, civil and environmental engineeringg (BCEE-2014), Dubai (UAE), 17–18 Mar 2014Google Scholar
- Rana R, Ganguly G, Gupta AK (2015) An assessment of solid waste management system in Chandigarh city, India. Electron J Geotech Eng 20:1547–1572Google Scholar
- Sharma A, Kaushik MK, Kumar A, Bansal A (2016) Assessment of ground water quality and feasibility of tire derived aggregates for use as a leachate drainage material. Electron J Geotech Eng 21:3113–3136Google Scholar
- Shivasharanappa SP, Huggi MS (2011) Assessment of ground water quality characteristics and water quality index of Bidar city and its industrial area, Karnataka state, India. Int J Environ Sci 2(2):965–976Google Scholar