A 62-year-old male presented transient loss of consciousness during dialysis and was transferred to the emergency room. Chest X-ray and computed tomography revealed prominent right pleural effusion with large tumor mass surrounding the contour of the right lung. The patient had been involved in demolition work of old buildings and water pipes for more than 25 years, where he was often exposed to asbestos fibers in the air. The patient suffered from diabetes mellitus for 18 years and started dialysis three times a week since 7 years ago due to diabetic nephropathy.
KeywordsIron Asbestos Mesothelioma Oxygen Reactive oxygen species (ROS)
- Akatsuka S, Yamashita Y, Ohara H, Liu YT, Izumiya M, Abe K, Ochiai M, Jiang L, Nagai H, Okazaki Y, Murakami H, Sekido Y, Arai E, Kanai Y, Hino O, Takahashi T, Nakagama H, Toyokuni S (2012) Fenton reaction induced cancer in wild type rats recapitulates genomic alterations observed in human cancer. PLoS One 7:e43403CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- IARC, WHO 2012. Asbestos (chrysotile, amosite, crocidolite, tremolite, actinolite, and anthophyllite). IARC monographs on the evaluation of carcinogenic risks to humans a review of human carcinogens; part C: arsenic, metals, fibres, and dusts. Lyon, FranceGoogle Scholar
- Kato J, Miyanishi K, Kobune M, Nakamura T, Takada K, Takimoto R, Kawano Y, Takahashi S, Takahashi M, Sato Y, Takayama T, Niitsu Y (2007) Long-term phlebotomy with low-iron diet therapy lowers risk of development of hepatocellular carcinoma from chronic hepatitis C. J Gastroenterol 42:830–836CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nagai H, Okazaki Y, Chew S, Misawa N, Yamashita Y, Akatsuka S, Yamashita K, Ishihara T, Yoshikawa Y, Jiang L, Ohara H, Takahashi T, Ichihara G, Kostarelos K, Miyata Y, Shinohara H, Toyokuni S (2011b) Diameter of multi-walled carbon nanotubes is a critical factor in mesothelial injury and subsequent carcinogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:E1330–E1338CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Toyokuni S (2018) Iron addiction with ferroptosis-resistance in asbestos-induced mesothelial carcinogenesis: toward the era of mesothelioma prevention. Free Radic Biol Med. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2018.10.401
- Weinberg R (2013) The biology of cancer. Garland Science, New YorkGoogle Scholar