Institutional Research to Support Planning, Decision-Making, and Teaching and Learning at Pomona College, USA
This chapter traces the development of an institutional research (IR) function at a small, private liberal arts college in Southern California, from its earliest beginnings as a fledgling one-person office to what is today a maturing operation that works in close partnership with decision-makers and faculty across campus to advance the educational aims of the college. It traces IR’s historical underpinnings and dynamic evolution as a field of practice and uses examples of institutional research in planning, decision-making, and teaching and learning at Pomona College to demonstrate its role in supporting a liberal arts mission.
- Association for Institutional Research. (2011). Constitution and bylaws. Tallahassee, FL: Association for Institutional Research. Retrieved 28 May 2016 from https://www.airweb.org/AboutUs/LeadershipAndGovernance/GovernanceDocuments/Pages/default.aspx
- Jones, L. G. (1996). A brief history of the fact book as an institutional research report (New directions for institutional research, no. 91). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers.Google Scholar
- Pomona College. (2007). A strategic plan for Pomona College. Internal document.Google Scholar
- Pomona College Board of Trustees. (2005). Trustee statement on diversity. Retrieved 26 May 2016 from https://www.pomona.edu/administration/diversity-pomona
- President’s Advisory Committee for Diversity. (2015). Lighting the path to 2025: A vision for diversity. Internal Pomona College planning document.Google Scholar
- Saup, J. L. (1990). The functions of institutional research (2nd ed.). Tallahassee, FL: Association for Institutional Research.Google Scholar
- Smith, D. (2009). Diversity’s promise for higher education. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Swing, R. L., Jones, D., & Ross, L. E. (2016). The AIR national survey of institutional research offices. Tallahassee, FL: Association for Institutional Research. Retrieved 26 May 2016 from http://www.airweb.org/nationalsurvey.
- Swing, R. L., & Ross, L. E. (2016). Statement of aspirational practice for institutional research. Tallahassee, FL: Association for Institutional Research. Retrieved 26 May 2016 from https://www.airweb.org/Resources/ImprovingAndTransformingPostsecondaryEducation/Pages/Statements-of-Aspirational-Practice-for-Institutional-Research.aspx
- WASC Senior College and University Commission. (2013). Handbook of accreditation, revised. Retrieved 26 May 2016 from https://www.wascsenior.org/content/2013-handbook-accreditation