Improving Traffic Flow at a Highway Tollgate with ARENA: Focusing on the Seoul Tollgate
In this study, the effects of traffic flow improvements were compared in terms of real traffic data by using the level of congestion, throughput, and average duration time criteria. A current situation and a situation with smart tolling were considered in order to ensure the reliability of the results. The simulation consisted of six scenarios, the error rates were checked with 30 replications, and the error rates were noted to be lower than 0.5%. The scenarios were categorized by vehicle speeds that could affect subsequent vehicles. The smart tolling model was better than the current model overall. In particular, the results of comparing lifelike scenario 1 and scenario 6 with smart tolling are key. The results showed that the level of congestion and average duration time could be decreased to approximately 50%. With regard to the results, there are significant impacts on improving traffic flow while maintaining five lanes, unlike in the current model.
KeywordsSmart tolling Simulation Traffic flow
This study was supported by the Research Program funded by the Seoul National University of Science and Technology.
- 1.Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport Homepage. http://www.molit.go.kr/USR/NEWS/m_71/dtl.jsp?lcmspage=1&id=95080239. Accessed 23 Jan 2018
- 2.Korea Highway Corporation Homepage. http://www.ex.co.kr/portal/biz/bbs/layout1/selectBoardArticle.do?bbsId=BBSMSTR_000000000183&nttId=11723. Accessed 7 Mar 2018
- 3.Lee, U.J., Kim, S.T., Kim, C.K., Park, J.H., Park, G.H.: The smart tolling which next generation payment system with multiple lane and non-stop. J. Korean Soc. Road Eng. 16(1), 46–50 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport Homepage. http://www.molit.go.kr/USR/NEWS/m_71/dtl.jsp?id=95078761. Accessed 24 Feb 2018
- 6.Shin, H.S.: Operation decision model development and optimal operation of highway tollgate. Ph.D. Dissertation. Gachon University (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Yoo, B.S., Lee, S.B., Park, W.Y., Do, H.G.: Safety improvement of centrally installed Hi-pass lane of express highway. J. Korean Soc. Civ. Eng. 30(1), 1–10 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Yoon, H.S.: Analysis of construction cost savings of new expressway with smart tolling application, Master’s Thesis, Ajou University (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Korea Highway Corporation, Master Plan for Hi-Pass and Hi-Pass Lane Selection Using a Simulation Tool (2005)Google Scholar