Brief Technical Analysis of Facial Expression Recognition
Facial expression recognition (FER) is the current hot research topic, and it is widely used in the fields of pattern recognition, computer vision and artificial intelligence. As it is an important part of intelligent human-computer interaction technology, the FER has received widespread attention in recent years, and researchers in different fields have proposed many approaches for it. This paper reviews recent developments on FER approaches and the key technologies involved in the FER system: face detection and preprocessing, facial expression feature extraction and facial expression classification, which are analyzed and summarized in detail. Finally, the state-of-the-art of the FER is summarized, and its future development direction is pointed out.
KeywordsComputer vision Artificial intelligence Facial expression Feature extraction Classification
This work is supported by Natural Science Foundation of Shanghai (No. 18ZR1415100), National Science Foundation of China (61473182, 61773253), Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (15JC1401900) and Key research and development project of Yantai (2017ZH061).
- 1.Mehrabian, A.: Communication without words. Psychol. Today 2, 53–55 (1968)Google Scholar
- 3.Ekman, P.: Facial Action Coding System. A Technique for the Measurement of Facial Action (1978)Google Scholar
- 4.Hu, P.: Application research on face detection technology based on OpenCV in mobile augmented reality. Int. J. Sign. Process. Image Process. Pattern Recogn. 8, 249–256 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Shbib, R., Zhou, S.: Facial expression analysis using active shape model. Int. J. Sign. Process. Image Process. Pattern Recogn. 8, 9–22 (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang, S., Yang, H., Li, H.: Facial expression recognition based on incremental isomap with expression weighted distance. J. Comput. 8, 2051–2058 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Wu, C., Wang, S., Ji, Q.: Multi-instance hidden Markov model for facial expression recognition. In: IEEE International Conference and Workshops on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 1–6 (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.Bahari, F., Janghorbani, A.: EEG-based emotion recognition using recurrence plot analysis and K nearest neighbor classifier. In: Biomedical Engineering, pp. 228–233 (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Wang, F., He, K., Liu, Y., Li, L., Hu, X.: Research on the selection of kernel function in SVM based facial expression recognition. In: Industrial Electronics and Applications, pp. 1404–1408 (2013)Google Scholar