Distance Overestimation Error Correction Method (DOEC) of Time of Flight Camera Based on Pinhole Model
Depth cameras with Time of Flight (ToF) technology are widely used in machine vision and various measurement tasks. However, due to hardware conditions and imaging characteristics, multiple errors limit the further application of the ToF camera. This paper classified errors into errors caused by non-imaging principle and error caused by imaging principle. In order to simplify the experimental procedure and improve the efficiency of errors correction, a simple and feasible method is used to correct errors caused by non-imaging principle, and an evaluation function is proposed to determine the optimal reference distance, so as to select appropriate integration time and global offsets. To tackle the radial distance error, Distance Overestimation Error Correction method (DOEC) based on the principle of pinhole imaging is proposed to further improve the accuracy of depth data. Finally, error correction methods proposed in this paper are verified by experiments, and the segmentation of different depth ranges is successfully achieved by using the modified data, prove the effectiveness of the proposed methods.
KeywordsTime of flight Error correction Pinhole imaging Plan segmentation Data accuracy
This work is supported by National Science Foundation of China (61473182, 61773253), Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality (15JC1401900), Natural Science Foundation of Shanghai (No. 18ZR1415100).
- 1.Pertile, M., Chiodini, S., Giubilato, R., Debei, S.: Calibration of extrinsic parameters of a hybrid vision system for navigation comprising a very low resolution time-of-flight camera. In: IEEE International Workshop on Metrology for Aerospace, pp. 391–396 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Illadequinteiro, J., Brea, V.M., López, P., Cabello, D., Doménechasensi, G.: Distance measurement error in time-of-flight sensors due to shot noise. Sensors 15, 24–42 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Ghorpade, V.K., Checchin, P., Trassoudaine, L.: Line-of-sight-based ToF camera’s range image filtering for precise 3D scene reconstruction. In: European Conference on Mobile Robots, pp. 1–6 (2015)Google Scholar
- 11.Hertzberg, C., Frese, U.: Detailed modeling and calibration of a time-of-flight camera. In: International Conference on Informatics in Control, Automation and Robotics, pp. 568–579 (2015)Google Scholar
- 12.Konno, Y., et al.: Accurate plane estimation based on the error model of time-of-flight camera. In: Second IEEE International Conference on Robotic Computing, pp. 304–307 (2018)Google Scholar