Numerical Simulation of Failure Process of Buildings Under the Impact of Flow Slide
Flow slide is a form of landslide that can pose a great threat to the surrounding population and buildings. The collapse of buildings is an important cause of injury and death, so it is highly important to understand the failure process of buildings under the impact of flow slide and put forward effective methods for the hazard mitigation. In this paper, complex fluid-structure interaction between flow slide and buildings is simulated using SPH-FEM method. Flow material is modeled by SPH method which is a powerful tool for handling fluid problems, while the buildings are modeled by FEM elements with erosion algorithm. The runout characteristics and failure process of buildings under the impact of flow slide are both simulated. Different failure mechanisms are identified at different locations. The results indicate that this method is an applicable tool for analyzing the failure process of buildings and is promising to be used to assess the risk of buildings to flow slide.
KeywordsFlow slide Building failure Fluid-structure interaction Numerical simulation
The majority of the work described in this paper was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China under Grant No. 41602288, the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities, and the Shanghai Chenguang Scheme. The authors would like to express the sincerest gratitude.
- Dai Z, Huang Y, Cheng H (2016) SPH model for fluid-structure interaction and its application to debris flow impact estimation. Landslides 14:1–12Google Scholar
- Hallquist JO (2006) LS-DYNA Keyword User’s Manual. Livermore Software Technology CorporationGoogle Scholar
- Huang Y, Yiu J, Pappin J (2014) Numerical investigation of landslide mobility and debris-flow resistant flexible barrier with LS-DYNA. In: Proceedings of the 13th international LS-DYNA users conferenceGoogle Scholar
- Ouyang C, Zhou K, Xu Q (2016) Dynamic analysis and numerical modeling of the 2015 catastrophic landslide of the construction waste landfill at Guangming, Shenzhen, China. Landslides 14(2):1–14Google Scholar
- Xu Q, Peng D, Li W (2017) The catastrophic landfill flowslide at Hongao dumpsite on 20 December 2015 in Shenzhen, China. Nat Hazards Earth Syst Sci 17(17):1–19Google Scholar