Surface Characteristics of Drilled Holes in Al–TiB2 Metal Matrix Composites Using Electric Discharge Machine
This research work is focused on finding the variation of surface roughness and root-mean-square roughness of aluminium metal matrix composite which is reinforced with TiB2 material for drilling holes using copper electrode in electric discharge machine (EDM). The friction stir casting process is carried out to prepare the specimens of 93% of Al6061 reinforced with 6% TiB2. Full factorial design of experiments is conducted by considering the four input parameters namely current (A), gap voltage (V), depth of cut (d) and pulse duration (T) at five different levels. The 3-dimensional surface texture and roughness are measured using white layer interferometer for all the drilled holes, and the values are obtained using Gwyddion software. The results indicate if the current value and depth of cut increase, the value of the average surface roughness and the root-mean-square roughness also increases, whereas the surface roughness is inversely proportional to the discharge gap between the tool and work piece.
KeywordsStir casting Metal matrix composite Electric discharge machine (EDM) White layer interferometer Surface roughness
This work is carried out at Shunmuga Precision Forging (ISO 9001:2008 & ISO 14001:2004 and BS OHSAS 18001:2007 Certified) a sister concern of SASTRA Deemed University, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, INDIA. Authors would like to thank the management of SASTRA Deemed University, Dr. R. Venkatraman, Director, SPF, Thanjavur and the technical assistant who have helped in carrying out the experiments in EDM machine and not having any conflict of interest in publishing this research work.
- 1.Christy, T.V., Murugan, N., Kumar, S.: A comparative study on the microstructures and mechanical properties of Al 6061 alloy and the MMC Al 6061/TiB2/12p. J. Minerals Mater. Charact. Eng. 9(01), 57 (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Lawrance, C.A., Prabhu, P.S.: Al 6061-TiB2 metal matrix composite synthesized with different reaction holding times by in-situ method. Int. J. Compos. Mater. 5(5), 97–101 (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.Gopalakannan, S., Senthilvelan, T., Ranganathan, S.: Modeling and optimization of EDM process parameters on machining of Al 7075-B4C MMC using RSM. Proc. Eng. 38, 685–690 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Dvivedi, A., Kumar, P., Singh, I.: Experimental investigation and optimisation in EDM of Al 6063 SiCp metal matrix composite. Int. J. Mach. Mach. Mater. 3(3–4), 293–308 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Nanimina, A.M., Abdul-Rani, A.M., Ahmad, F., Zainuddin, A., Lo, S.J.: Effects of electro-discharge machining on aluminium metal matrix composite. J. Appl. Sci. 11(11), 1668–1672 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Senthil, P., Vinodh, S., Singh, A.K.: Parametric optimisation of EDM on Al-Cu/TiB2 in-situ metal matrix composites using TOPSIS method. Int. J. Mach. Mach. Mater. 16(1), 80–94 (2014)Google Scholar