Experimental Investigation of Electrochemical Micro-machining Process Parameters on Stainless Steel 316 Using Sodium Chloride Electrolyte
In this paper, the experimental investigation of electrochemical micro-machining (ECMM) process on stainless steel 316 by varying the effect of applied voltage, electrolyte concentration, micro-tool feed rate and duty cycle. The machining performance such as material removal rate (MRR) and overcut (OC). Taguchi design of experiment has been used to carry out the design of input process parameters and their levels. Microscopic image has been used to study the surface topography of the electrochemical micro-machined work piece surface. The experimental results attain that the effect of electrolyte concentration and duty cycle has most significant factors for the machining of stainless steel 316 by electrochemical micro-machining (ECMM) process. The optimize process parameters for higher material removal rate and lower overcut are found out using grey relational approach, and finally, the confirmation tests were carried out in the electrochemical micro-machining process.
KeywordsStainless steel-316 NaCl electrolyte Copper tool electrode Orthogonal machining Taguchi method
- 1.Munda, J., Bhattacharyya, B.: Investigation into electrochemical micromachining (EMM) through response surface methodology based approach. Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol. 35, 821–832 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Rajurkar, K.P., Zhu, D., McGeough, J.A., Kozak, J., De Silva, A.: New Developments in Electro-Chemical Machining. National science foundationGoogle Scholar
- 5.Bhattacharyya*, B., Sorkhel, S.K.: Investigation for controlled electrochemical machining through response surface methodology-based approach. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 86, 200–207 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Bhattacharyya*, B., Doloi, B.N., Sorkhel, S.K.: Experimental investigations into electrochemical discharge machining (ECDM) of non-conductive ceramic materials. J. Mater. Process. Technol. 95, 145–154 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Bhattacharyya, B., Malapati, M., Munda, J., Sarkar, A.: Influence of tool vibration on machining performance in electrochemical micro-machining of copper. Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf. 47, 335–342 (2007)Google Scholar