Optimization of Machining Parameters of Inconel 718 by WEDM Using Response Surface Methodology
WEDM is considered to be a unique form of the traditional EDM process, where an electrode is used to start the ignition process. Here, the material is dissolved before of the wire and there is no straight contact between the working component and the tool(wire), removing the mechanical tension during machining. The main outcome from this work is to find out the effects which different machining parameters have on the machining standards of Inconel 718 and to acquire the optimum sets of machining parameters so that the standard of working components can be optimized. The response surface methodology is applied here to learn about the impact of the WEDM process parameters and also to get sets of optimal parameters for optimum output attributes. The effect of the parameters are to be studied, viz. peak current (Amps), pulse time on (μs) and feed (m/s) on the responses, viz. machining time, surface roughness, material removal rate. Molybdenum has high strength at elevated temperatures making it suitable in furnace, aerospace and similar applications, and hence, molybdenum wire is used here as cutting tool. Series of experiments were conducted by machining INCONEL 718 blocks using molybdenum wire under different parameters of input current, pulse on time and feed rate got from response surface method table. By plotting the results got from material removal rate (MRR), circularity and surface roughness of these experiments, the results for optimum parameters to be applied which are needed to get minimum machining time, circularity error and surface roughness could be achieved.
KeywordsInconel 718 Optimization Response surface method WEDM machining
I extend my heartfelt gratitude and thanks to all the teachers and non-teaching staff of School of Mechanical Engineering, SRM University, and to all who extended their cooperation in the form of valuable suggestions and timely help during the course of this project work.
- 1.Dhanabalan, S., Sivakumar, K., Sathiya Narayanan, C.: Optimization of Machining Parameters in EDM of Inconel 718 for Form Tolerance Using Grey Relational Analysis. IJEMS 20(5) (October 2013)Google Scholar
- 2.Newton, T.R., Melkote, S.N.: Investigation of the effect of process parameters on the formation and characteristics of recast layer in wire-EDM of Inconel 718. Materials Science and Engineering A-structural Materials Properties Microstructure and Processing—Mater Sci Eng A-Struct Mater 513, 208–215 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Satyanarayana, B., Srikar, G.: Multiresponse optimisation of CNC WEDM process for machining Inconel 718 using Taguchi Grey relational analysis. Int. J. Mech. Prod. Eng. (IJMPE) 2(10) (Oct 2014). IJMPE—IRAJGoogle Scholar
- 4.Garg, R.: Effect of process parameters on performance measures of wire cut electrical discharge machining. Ph.D. thesis, National Institute of Technology, Kurukshetra (May 2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, L., Guo, Y.B.: Surface Integrity characterstics in Wire–EDM of Inconel 718 at different discharge energy. Proc CIRP 6, 220–225 (2013)Google Scholar