Experimental Analysis of Surface Roughness of Duplex Stainless Steel in Milling Operation
Duplex stainless steel materials are widely used in various industrial sectors due to its excellent stress corrosion cracking resistance and higher strength levels. The present work presents the results of experimental investigation carried out in end milling operation of cast nitrogen alloyed duplex stainless steel ASTM A 995 Grade 5A. The end milling operations were carried out with coated carbide cutting tool inserts. The experiments were conducted at three different spindle speeds, three different feed rates, and three different axial depth of cuts. The cutting parameters are optimized using Taguchi method. The effects of cutting speed, feed rate, and depth of cut on the surface roughness were analyzed using mean and analysis of variance. It is found out that the significant variable affecting the surface roughness is the feed rate, then the spindle speed, and the axial depth of cut.
KeywordsDuplex stainless steel End milling Optimization Surface roughness Taguchi method
The author is thankful to Mr. Jones Robin and Mr. Mohan kumar, laboratory technicians for their assistance to carrying out this experimental work.
- 1.Davis, J.R.: ASM Specialty Handbook Stainless Steels. ASM International, Ohio (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Shaw, M.C.: Metal Cutting Principles. Oxford University Press, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Juneja, B.L., Sekhon, G.S., Seth, N.: Fundamentals of Metal Cutting and Machine Tools, New Age International Publishers, New Delhi (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Taguchi, G., El Sayed, M., Hashing, T.C.: Quality Engineering and Quality Systems. McGraw Hill, New York (1989)Google Scholar
- 5.Ross, J.: Taguchi Technique for Quality Engineering. McGraw Hill, New York (1993)Google Scholar
- 6.Phadke, M.K.: Quality Engineering Using Robust Design. Prentice-Hall, New Jersey (1989)Google Scholar
- 13.Sai, W.B., Salah, N.B., Lebrun, J.L.: Influence of machining by finishing milling on surface characteristics. Int. J. Mach. Tools Manuf. 411, 443–450 (2001)Google Scholar
- 14.Philip Selvaraj, D., Chandramohan, P., Mohanraj, M., Rajesh, P.K.: Experimental investigations on surface roughness, cutting force and tool wear of duplex stainless steel in end milling using Taguchi method. Int. Review Mech. Eng. 7, 1133–1141 (2013)Google Scholar
- 16.Philip Selvaraj, D., Chandramohan, P., Mohanraj, M.: Optimization of surface roughness, cutting force and tool wear of nitrogen alloyed duplex stainless steel in a dry turning process using Taguchi method. Measurement 49, 205–215 (2014)Google Scholar
- 17.Karunya, G., Ravikumar, P., Geeta Krishna, P., Shiva Krishna, P.: Optimization of the surface roughness by applying the Taguchi technique for the turning of AISI 304 austenitic stainless steel. Int. J. Mech. Eng. Technol. 8, 694–701 (2017)Google Scholar