Multi-response Optimization of Machining Parameters in EDM Using Square-Shaped Nonferrous Electrode
Productivity has a vital role in industry which leads to enhance the overall profit. In most of the processes, properties of end product should be same as the property of raw materials which shows the necessity of non-conventional machining method. The electrical discharge machining (EDM) is widely used for machining hard and complex shaped parts in industries. In this study, EN-8 material has been chosen as workpiece and it has been machined by conventional copper electrode of having the shape of square. Various influencing parameters have been selected as input parameters, viz. peak current, pulse on time, dielectric pressure and size of electrode. Totally, 29 experiments were conducted using design of experiments (DOE) and analyzed with the output responses. Multi-response optimization was carried out using desirability function, and analysis of three-dimensional model graph was observed. Input parameters were optimized in order to obtain maximum metal removal rate (MRR) and minimum tool wear rate (TWR). The significant parameters have been identified using analysis of variance (ANOVA). Coefficient of correlation is also been evaluated. Interactions of parameters against the outputs are analyzed.
KeywordsEDM DOE MRR TWR RSM ANOVA
- 2.Mir, M.J., Sheikh, K., Singh, B., Malhotra, N.: Modelling and analysis of machining parameters for surface roughness in powder mixed EDM using RSM approach. Int. J. Eng. Sci. Technol. 4, 45–52 (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Chandramouli, S., Shrinivas Balraj, U., Eswaraiah, K.: Optimization of electrical discharge machining process parameters using Taguchi method. Int. J. Adv. Mech. Eng. 4, 425–434 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Cheke, P.R., Khedekar, D.S., Pawar, M.S., Kandam, R.S.: Comparative performance of wet of and dry EDM process for machining of oil hardened non sinking steel material. Int. J. Mech. Eng. Technol. 3, 13–22 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Jangra, K., Grover, S., Aggarwal, A.: Simultaneous optimization of material removal rate and surface roughness for WEDM of WC-Co composite using grey relational analysis along with Taguchi method. Int. J. Ind. Eng. Comput. 2, 479–490 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Kumar, A., Kumar, V., Kumar, J.: Prediction of surface roughness in wire electric discharge machining (WEDM) process based on response surface methodology. Int. J. Eng. Technol. 2, 708–719 (2012)Google Scholar