On Processing of Ni–WC8Co-based Composite Clads on Austenitic Stainless Steel Through Microwave Energy
In the present investigation, composite clads of Ni + 20% WC8Co and Ni + 30% WC8Co were developed on austenitic stainless steel (SS-316) using microwave energy. Experiments trials were carried out inside a domestic microwave oven with a frequency range of 2.45 GHz and variable power level of 180–900 W. The exposure time and power level for developing clads were optimized. The microwave processed clads were further characterized through SEM/EDS, XRD, and measurement of Vicker’s microhardness. Microstructural results revealed that the clads of approximately 0.7 mm thickness were free from any type of interfacial cracks and voids. WC particles were uniformly distributed inside soft Ni matrix. The presence of NiSi, Co3W3C, Fe6W6C, NiW, NiCr, and FeNi3 phases was observed during phase analysis of developed composite clads. Microhardness of the Ni + 20% WC8Co and Ni + 30% WC8Co was found to be 810 ± 75 and 923 ± 65 HV, respectively.
KeywordsMicrowave cladding Composite material Microhardness Characterization
The authors are grateful to Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), India, for providing Authors the financial assistance under the project titled “Development of Microwave Processed Cavitation Erosion Resistant Cladding” File no.: EMR/2016/007964.
- 7.Gupta, D., Sharma, A.K.: A method of cladding-coating of metallic and non-metallic powders on metallic substrate by microwave irradiation. Patent Application 527/Del, India (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Kaushal, S., Gupta, D., Bhowmick, H.L.: Investigation of dry sliding wear behavior of composite cladding developed through microwave heating. J. Tribol. 139, 041603-1-9 (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Kaushal, S., Sirohi, V., Gupta, D., Bhowmick, H.L., Singh, S.: Processing and characterization of composite cladding through microwave heating on martensitic steel. Mater. Des. Appl. https://doi.org/10.1177/1464420715616139 (2015, in press)
- 11.Kaushal, S., Gupta, D., Bhowmick, H.L.: On surface modification of austenitic stainless steel using microwave processed Ni/Cr3C2 composite cladding. Surf. Eng. https://doi.org/10.1080/02670844.2017.1362808 (2017, in press)
- 12.Kaushal, S., Gupta, D., Bhowmick, H.L.: On microstructure and wear behavior of microwave processed composite clad. J. Tribol. 139, 061602-1-8 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Kaushal, S., Gupta, D., Bhowmick, H.L.: On processing of Ni-WC based functionally graded composite clads through microwave heating. Mater. Manufact. Process. https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2017.1401724 (2017, in press)