A New Deterministic Method of Initializing Spherical K-means for Document Clustering
Document clustering is required when the possible categories into which text data are to be organized are not known. Standard clustering algorithms do not suit well due to high sparsity of term matrices of document corpus. Use of cosine similarity among document vector has proved to give good results. Its use with k-means is referred as spherical k-means. The performance of spherical k-means highly depends on its initialization. This paper proposes a deterministic initialization technique for spherical k-means that considers the distribution of vectors within the space. Experiments on real-life data with skewed distributions are done to compare performance with other initialization methods. A related technique to avoid generation of empty clusters is also proposed.
KeywordsDocument clustering Spherical k-means Initializing k-means Deterministic initialization Clustering
- 1.Forgy, E.: Cluster analysis of multivariate data: efficiency versus interpretability of classifications. Biometrics 21, 768 (1965)Google Scholar
- 2.Strehl, A., Ghosh, J., Mooney, R.: Impact of similarity measures on web-page clustering. In: Proceedings of the AAAI Workshop on AI for Web Search, pp. 58–64 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Su, T., Dy, J.: A deterministic method for initializing K-means clustering. In: Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence, pp. 784–786 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Arthur, D., Vassilvitskii, S.: K-means++: the advantages of careful seeding. In: Proceedings of the Eighteenth Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete algorithms, pp. 1027–1035 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Dhillon, I., Fan, J., Guan, Y.: Efficient clustering of very large document collections. In: Data Mining for Scientific and Engineering Applications, pp. 357–381. Kluwer Academic Publishers (2001)Google Scholar