Participatory Action Research as Development Tool for Industry Training: Artisan Gelato
This chapter examines how participatory action research was used as a methodology and means to develop specialised artisanal gelato culinary programs at William Angliss Institute. The research wanted to push the boundaries of design methodologies in food, tourism, hospitality and events and was the foundation for creating a new training model and pathway for the Australian Vocational Education System to advance the development of professional resources and introduce a base for a culinary specialist training. The intricacy of developing professional culinary training programs for specialist and artisanal food products alongside a required depth of knowledge was unattainable through training in current Australian hospitality qualifications. The benefits of this research have enabled the establishment of a specialist training facility to train artisan gelato skills. The professional artisanal gelato training program continues to innovate and attracts local and international experts and students to the facility.
KeywordsDesign methodologies Artisanal Applied knowledge Pedagogy
- Carpigiani Gelato University. (2015). Carpigiani—Home. http://www.carpigiani.com/en/. Accessed June 6, 2017.
- Dunn, R. (2011). German bread making: Attracting and retaining apprentices in the Australian industry. Higher Education and Skills Group Overseas Fellowship. http://temp.issinstitute.org.au/fellowships/fellowship-reports/food-wine-tourism/. Accessed June 10, 2017.
- Figgis, J. (2009). Regenerating the Australian landscape of Professional VET practice: Practitioner-driven changes to teaching and learning. NCVER. https://www.ncver.edu.au/publications/publications/all-publications/regenerating-the-australian-landscape-of-professional-vet-practice-practitioner-driven-changes-to-teaching-and-learning. Accessed May 4, 2017.
- Gelato World Tour. (2015). Press releases http://www.gelatoworldtour.com. Accessed October 02, 2015.
- International Specialised Skills Institute. (2017). Fellowship reports. http://www.issinstitute.org.au/fellowships/fellowship-reports/. Accessed September 05, 2017.
- Kirkham, R. (2017). Food revolution on the way to Daylesford. The Courier. http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4954403/food-revolution-on-the-way-to-daylesford/. Accessed October 17, 2017.
- Kindon, S. L., Pain, R., & Kesby, M. (2007). Participatory action research approaches and methods: Connecting people, participation and place. Routledge Studies in Human Geography, 188–192.Google Scholar
- Lewis, G., Carew, A., & Fryar, N. (2017). Fermentasmania: International lessons for local regional development. Agrifood Skills Australia and University of Tasmania Fellowship report. http://www.issinstitute.org.au/fellowships/fellowship-reports/food-wine-tourism/. Accessed May 6, 2017.
- Lucas, B., Spencer, A., & Claxton, G. (2012). Learning and teaching methods that work. In How to teach vocational education: A theory of vocational pedagogy, pp. 59–76. http://www.winchester.ac.uk/aboutus/lifelonglearning/CentreforRealWorldLearning/Documents/How-to-teach-vocational-education%20Bill%20Lucas%20Ellen%20Spencer%20and%20Guy%20Claxton.pdf. Accessed July 20, 2017.
- McIntyre, A. (2008). Participatory action research. Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- National Centre for Vocational Education Research. (2012). Apprentices and trainees: Early trend estimates, June quarter 2012. NCVER. http://www.tda.edu.au/cb_pages/files/NCVER%20June%20quarter%202012.pdf. Accessed May 12, 2017.
- Occupational skill shortages information. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.employment.gov.au/occupational-skill-shortages-information Accessed July 27, 2017.
- Panciera, D. (2013). Italian Artisanal Gelato according to Donata Panciera. Lulu Enterprises Incorporated.Google Scholar
- Pellegrino, M. (2011). The science behind the art of Patisserie. Higher Education and Skills Group (formerly Skills Victoria) Overseas Fellowship. http://temp.issinstitute.org.au/fellowships/fellowship-reports/food-wine-tourism/. Accessed May 12, 2017.
- Reason, P., & Bradbury, H. (2001). Handbook of action research: Participative inquiry and practice. London: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Restaurant & Catering Australia (R&CA). (2015). Shortfall of skilled workers to impact hospitality sector. http://www.medianet.com.au/releases/55059/. Accessed July 18, 2017.
- Robertson, I. (2008). VET teachers’ knowledge and expertise, International Journal of Training Research, 6, 1–22. http://www.avetra.org.au/downloads/Robertson%20final.pdf.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Skills Australia. (2010). Australian workforce futures: A national workforce development strategy. http://www.issinstitute.org.au/pdfs/WWF_strategy.pdf. Accessed May 18, 2017.
- Seddon, T., Williams, M., & Goulding, F. (2013). Towards a culture of scholarly practice in mixed-sector institutions. Research report. NCVER. https://www.ncver.edu.au/publications/publications/all-publications/towards-a-culture-of-scholarly-practice-in-mixed-sector-institutions. Accessed May 08, 2017.
- training.gov.au. (2017). https://training.gov.au/Training/Details/SITHPAT006. Accessed July 24, 2017.
- Tsimiklis, A. (2016). Artisan Gelato training, Carpigiani Gelato University, Bologna, Italy. ISS Institute Fellowship Report, Higher Education and Skills Group, Department of Education and Training, Victorian Government. http://temp.issinstitute.org.au/fellowships/fellowship-reports/food-wine-tourism/. Accessed June 22, 2017.