Application of Optimization Technique for Performance and Emission Characteristics of a CNG-Diesel Dual Fuel Engine: A Comparison Study
This work is concerned with development of a hybrid optimization technique established on particle swarm optimization (PSO) and Firefly (FA) algorithm for simultaneous optimization of performance and emission characteristics (output characteristics) of CNG-Diesel dual fuel engine (DFE). The study focusses on a suitable objective function (OF) development based on ANN paradigm using RBF-ELM network and application of PSO, FA and hybrid PSO-FA algorithm for optimization. Though all the algorithms give similar predicted values for the inputs to obtain the optimized outputs, the focus on getting the optimal results in the least possible time with necessary stability has been exhibited by the hybrid model, which has not been attempted before for engine modeling applications, as per the authors’ literature survey.
KeywordsCNG-Diesel Firefly PSO Hybrid optimization Dual fuel engine
- 3.Papagiannakis, R.G., Rakopoulos, C.D., Hountalas, D.T., Rakopoulos, D.C.: Emission characteristics of high speed, dual fuel, compression ignition engine operating in a wide range of natural gas/diesel fuel proportions. Fuel 89, 1397–1406 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2009.11.001CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Mahla, S.K., Das, L.M., Babu, M.K.G.: Effect of EGR on performance and emission characteristics of natural gas fueled diesel engine. Jordan J. Mech. Ind. Eng. 4(4), 523–530 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Pirouzpanah, V., Sarai, R.K.: Reduction of emissions in an automotive direct injection diesel engine dual-fuelled with natural gas by using variable exhaust gas recirculation. Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part. D: J. Automob. Eng. 217, 719–725 (2003). https://doi.org/10.1243/09544070360692104CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Shivakumar, S., Srinivasa Pai, P., Shrinivasa Rao, B.R.: Artificial neural network based prediction of performance and emission characteristics of a variable compression ratio CI engine using WCO as a biodiesel at different injection timings. Appl. Energy 88, 2344–2354 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2010.12.030CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Yang, X.-S.: Nature-inspired Metaheuristic Algorithms. Luniver Press, Bristol (2010)Google Scholar