Market Perceptions of Corporate Social Responsibility and Cost of Capital
- 571 Downloads
This chapter investigates the influence of market perceptions of corporate social responsibility (CSR) on the cost of capital of Japanese listed firms by examining the relationships between composite corporate social performance (CSP) and the cost of capital in terms of the cost of debt, cost of equity, and weighted average cost of capital (WACC).
- Allen, F., and D. Gale. 2000. Comparing financial systems. The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Aoki, M., G. Jackson, and H. Miyajima. 2007. Corporate governance in Japan. Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Gong, G., S. Xu1, and X. Gong. 2016. On the value of corporate social responsibility disclosure: An empirical investigation of corporate bond issues in China. Journal of Business Ethics. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-016-3193-8.
- Graves, S.B., and S.A. Waddock. 1994. Institutional ownership and corporate social performance. Academy of Management Journal 37 (4): 1034–1046.Google Scholar
- Hoshi, T., and A. Kashyap. 2001. Corporate financing and governance in Japan. Cambridge, Massachusetts, London, England: Massachusetts Institute of Technology.Google Scholar
- Johnson, R.A., and D.W. Greening. 1999. The effect of corporate governance and institutional ownership types on corporate social performance. Academy of Management Journal 42 (5): 564–576.Google Scholar
- Miyajima, H. and K. Nitta. 2011. Diversification of shareholding structure and the results: Dissolution and revive of cross-shareholdings and role of foreign investors. RIETI Discussion Paper Series 11-J-011 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Modigliani, F., and M.H. Miller. 1958. The cost of capital, corporate finance and the theory of investment. The American Economic Review 48 (3): 261–297.Google Scholar
- Russo, M.V., and P.A. Fouts. 1997. A resource-based perspective on corporate environmental risk management and profitability. Academy of Management Journal 40 (3): 534–559.Google Scholar
- Stewart, F. and J. Yermo. 2010. Options to improve the governance and investment of Japan’s government pension investment fund. OECD Working Papers on Finance, Insurance and Private Pensions.Google Scholar
- Xu, S., D. Liu, and J. Huang. 2014. Corporate social responsibility, the cost of equity capital and ownership structure: An analysis of Chinese listed firms. Australian Journal of Management 40 (2): 1–32.Google Scholar