Corporate Social Responsibility Awareness and Practices of Japanese Corporations
- 593 Downloads
As addressed in Chap. 1, this book aims to investigate how Japanese companies’ awareness of social responsibility aligns with actual responsible practices in business and finance since the 2000s, when the financial system shifted from bank centered to more market oriented. Before presenting empirical analyses to explore the related issues, it is necessary to provide our theoretical approach to corporate social responsibility (CSR) and to sketch the context of CSR awareness and practices of Japanese companies.
- Aupperle, K.E., A.B. Carroll, and J.D. Hatfield. 1985. An empirical examination of the relationship between corporate social responsibility and profitability. Academy of Management Journal 28 (2): 446–463.Google Scholar
- Baker, H.K., and J.R. Nofsinger. 2012. Responsible finance and investing: An overview. In Chapter 1, Socially responsible finance and investing, ed. H.K. Baker and J.R. Nofsinger, 1–14. Hoboken, New Jersey: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Buchholtz, A.K., J.A. Brown, and K.M. Shabana. 2008. Corporate governance and corporate social responsibility. In Chapter 14, The oxford handbook of corporate social responsibility, ed. A. Crane, A. McWilliams, D. Matten, J. Moon, and D. Siegel, 327–345. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Carroll, A.B. 2006. A history of corporate social responsibility: Concepts and practices. In Chapter 2, The oxford handbook of corporate social responsibility, ed. A. Crane, A. McWilliams, D. Matten, J. Moon, and D. Siegel, 19–46. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Cochran, P.L., and R.A. Wood. 1984. Corporate social responsibility and financial performance. Academy of Management Journal 27 (1): 42–56.Google Scholar
- Financial Services Agency (FSA). 2014. Principles for responsible institutional investors (February 26, 2014), The council of experts concerning the Japanese version of the stewardship code. http://www.fsa.go.jp/en/refer/councils/stewardship/20140407/01.pdf.
- Fisman, R., G. Heal, and V. Nair. 2006. A model of corporate philanthropy. Working Paper, Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, 1–23.Google Scholar
- Freeman, R.E. 1984. Strategic management: A stakeholder perspective. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Friedman, M. 1970. The social responsibility of business is to increase its profits. New York Times Magazine, September 13.Google Scholar
- JACE. 2003. 15th corporate white paper: market evolution and CSR management: Toward building integrity and creating stakeholder value (in Japanese). Retrieved in January 2018. https://www.doyukai.or.jp/whitepaper/articles/no15.html.
- JACE. 2004. CSR survey 2003 (in Japanese). Retrieved in January 2018. https://www.doyukai.or.jp/en/policyproposals/2003/pdf/040116a.pdf.
- JACE. 2006. CSR Survey 2006 (in Japanese). Retrieved in January 2018. https://www.doyukai.or.jp/policyproposals/articles/2006/060523a.html.
- JACE. 2010. CSR Survey 2010 (in Japanese). Retrieved in January 2018. https://www.doyukai.or.jp/policyproposals/articles/2010/100413a.html.
- JACE. 2014. CSR Survey 2014 (in Japanese). Retrieved in January 2018. https://www.doyukai.or.jp/policyproposals/articles/2014/pdf/140514a.pdf.
- Japan Association of Corporate Executives (JACE). 2000. Keizai Doyukai 21st century declaration, December 25, 2000. Retrieved in January 2018. https://www.doyukai.or.jp/en/policyproposals/2000/pdf/001225a.pdf.
- Keidanren. 2004. Basic idea of promoting corporate social responsibility (in Japanese). Retrieved in January 2018. https://www.keidanren.or.jp/japanese/policy/2004/017.html.
- Keidanren. 2010. Charter of corporate behavior & its implementation of guidance. Retrieved in January 2018. http://www.keidanren.or.jp/en/policy/csr/tebiki6.pdf.
- KPMG. 2015. Sustainability report in 2015 (in Japanese). Retrieved in January 2018. https://assets.kpmg.com/content/dam/kpmg/pdf/2016/05/jp-sustainability-report-survey-2015.pdf.
- McGuire, J., A. Sundgren, and T. Schneeweis. 1988. Corporate social responsibility and firm financial performance. Academy of Management Journal 31 (4): 854–872.Google Scholar
- Ministry of the Environment 2014. 2014 Survey for Corporate Environmental Behavior (in Japanese). Retrieved in January 2018. https://www.env.go.jp/policy/j-hiroba/kigyo/h26/gaiyo.pdf.
- Russo, M., and P. Fouts. 1997. A resource-based perspective on corporate environmental performance. Academy of Management Journal 40 (3): 534–559.Google Scholar
- Selective Summary (in English). 2018. Retrieved in January 2018. https://www.doyukai.or.jp/en/policyproposals/2002/pdf/030326a.pdf.
- Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE). 2015. Japan’s corporate governance code seeking sustainable corporate growth and increased corporate value over the mid- to long-term (March 5, 2015). Retrieved in January 2018. http://www.jpx.co.jp/english/equities/listing/cg/tvdivq0000008jb0-att/b5b4pj000001nj2x.pdf.
- Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE). 2017a. TSE listed companies white paper on corporate governance 2017. Retrieved in January 2018. http://www.jpx.co.jp/english/equities/listing/cg/tvdivq0000008jb0-att/b5b4pj000001nj2x.pdf.
- Tokyo Stock Exchange (TSE). 2017b. How listed companies have addressed Japan’s corporate governance code (Status as of July 2017) (September 5, 2017). Retrieved in January 2018. http://www.jpx.co.jp/english/news/1020/b5b4pj000001sbym-att/b5b4pj000001sc18.pdf.