Facilitating Creative Writing Instruction Using iPads in Secondary Schools: A School-Based Research
Chinese Language creative writing instruction in Singapore has been unable to shake off traditional teaching routines because teachers fear that over-emphasis will cause students to go off-topic in examinations. The Singapore Centre for Chinese Language and Nanyang Girls’ High School launched a year-long school-based research project in 2012, using iPads to supplement creative writing. Results indicate that the iPad strengthens the connectivity of knowledge and obtains seamless learning results, beneficial to the teaching of creative writing in the Chinese Language and students’ creative thinking abilities.
- Chen, L. (2008). Chuang yi si kao jiao xue de li lun yu shi ji [The theory and practice of creative thinking pedagogy] 《创造思考教学的理论与实际》 (pp. 32–34). Taipei: Psychological Publishing Co., Ltd.Google Scholar
- Howland, J. L., Jonassen, D. H., & Marra, R. M. (2008). Meaningful learning with technology (pp. 160–190). Upper Saddle River: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Koh, H. K. (2006). Xie zuo jiao cheng yu duo yuan zhi neng [Writing course and multiple intelligence] 写作教程与多元智能. In Chinese Language Society (Singapore) (Ed.), Xin jia po hua wen jiao xue lun wen si ji [Teaching and learning of Chinese language series: Volume 4 ] 《新加坡华文教学论文四集》(pp. 247–268). Singapore: Raffles Editions.Google Scholar
- Lai, A., Chen, M., & Lan, Y. (2011). Xin zhi yu tu ce lve jie he xian shang xie zuo jiao xue fang an dui guo xiao wu nian ji xue tong xie zuo neng li, chuang zao neng li ji xie zuo tai du zhi ying xiang [Integrating mind-map strategy and web-based writing website to improve the writing ability, creativity and attitude of fifth graders] 心智舆图策略结合线上写作教学方案对国小五年级学童写作能力、创造力及写作态度之影响. Hua wen xue kan [Journal of Chinese Language Education] 《华文学刊》, 9(2), 23–39.Google Scholar
- Learning Exchange. (2010). iPads in schools: Use testing. Retrieved from http://www.learningexchange.nsw.edu.au/research—development/support-material/support-material.aspx/technology/ipads-in-schools—use-testing.aspx.
- Lin, J. (1994). Chuang yi xie zuo jiao shi [Creative writing classroom] 《创意的写作教室》 (pp. 49–60). Taipei: Psychological Publishing Co., Ltd.Google Scholar
- Lin, C.-H., & Lien, Y.-J. (2012). Li yong iPad jin xing zhong wen jiao yu xue [Teaching and learning Chinese with and iPad] “利用iPad进行中文教与学”. In J. Da, S. Jiang, & S. Liu (Eds.), The 7th International Conference & Workshops on Technology & Chinese Language Teaching: Conference Proceedings 2012 (pp. 248–260). University of Hawaii at Mānoa: National Foreign Language Resource Center.Google Scholar
- Liu, M. (2005). Chuang si ji fa rong ru zuo wen jiao xue mo shi yu xing dong yan jiu [The integration of creativity techniques into teaching model and action research] 创思技法融入作文教学模式与行动研究. In K. Wang & L. Chen (Eds.), Guo wen zuo wen jiao xue de li lun yu shi wu [The theory and practice of Chinese writing teaching] 《国文作文教学的理论与实务》 (pp. 191–220). Taipei: Psychological Publishing Co., Ltd.Google Scholar
- Mao, L., Guo, Y., Chen, L., & Lin, H. (2000). Chuang zao li yan jiu [The research of creativity] 《创造力研究》 (pp. 218–223). Taipei: Psychological Publishing Co., Ltd.Google Scholar
- Melhuish, K., & Falloon, G. (2010). Looking to the future: M-learning with the iPad. Computers in New Zealand Schools: Learning, Leading, Technology, 22(3). Retrieved from http://researchcommons.waikato.ac.nz/bitstream/handle/10289/5050/Looking%20to%20the%20future.pdf?sequence=1.
- Mou, R. (2009). Chuang yi xie zuo huo dong de jiao xue ce lve [The teaching strategies of creative writing activities] 创意写作活动的教学策略. Shanghai jiao yu ke yan [Shanghai Education Science Academy] 《上海教育科研》, 9, 69–71.Google Scholar
- Naace. (2012). The iPad as a tools for education—A study of the introduction of iPads at Longfield Academy, Kent. Retrieved from http://www.naace.co.uk/publications/longfieldipadresearch.
- Seah-Tay, H. Y. (2011). Student engagement in iPad pilot classes. NYGH Research Journal. Parts of this paper were presented at the Apple Educators Workshop in Hong Kong on 11–15 July and at Apple Leaders Conference at Nanyang Girls’ High School on 10 October 2011. Retrieved from http://nyrj.pbworks.com/w/page/47264902/2011.
- The Mother Tongue Languages Review Committee Report (2010) Nurturing active learners and proficient users (pp. 16, 56). Singapore: Ministry of Education, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Wong, L. H., & Chin, C. K. (2010). Liu dong ke ji wei hua yu wen xue xi kai tuo xin fang xiang [Expanding horizons: Mobile technology in Chinese language learning] 流动科技为华语文学习开拓新方向. Hua wen xue kan [Journal of Chinese Language Education] 《华文学刊》, 8(2), 69–84.Google Scholar
- Wong, L.-H., Chin, C.-K., Tan, C.-L., & Liu, M. (2010a). Students’ personal and social meaning making in a Chinese idiom mobile learning environment. Educational Technology & Society, 13(4), 15–26.Google Scholar
- Wong, A. F. L., Divaharan, S., & Choy, D. (2010b). Planning for effective lessons. In C. S. Chai & Q. Wang (Eds.), ICT for self-directed and collaborative learning (pp. 81–106). Singapore: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Wong, L. H., Liu, M., Chin, C. K., Tan, C. L., & Gong, C. (2011). Liu dong ke ji ba cheng yu xue xi cong ke tang yan shen dao sheng hu-xian dao yan jiu de jing yan [Mobile technology extends the learning of idioms from classroom to real life] 流动科技把成语学习从课堂延伸到生活——先导研究的经验. In C. L. Tan (Ed.), Xing dong yu fan si:hua wen zuo wei di er yu yan zhi jiao yu xue [From practice to practical: Teaching and learning of Chinese as a second language 《行动与反思:华文作为第二语言之教与学》 (pp. 247–263). Nanjing: Nanjing University Press.Google Scholar
- Zhu, Z. (2001). Xiang gang chuang yi xie zuo jiao xue [The teaching of creative writing teaching in Hong Kong] 香港创意写作教学. Xiao xue qing nian jiao shi [《Primary Schools’ Young Teachers], 261, 49–50.Google Scholar