Design of Optimal Winding Layouts for Multiphase Fractional-Slot Concentrated-Wound Permanent Magnet Machines
This chapter proposes a heuristic algorithm for the design of optimal winding layouts for multiphase FSCW stators to achieve maximum torque density. The proposed heuristics algorithm is based on the analysis performed in Chapter 2 of this thesis for determining the harmonic winding factors for FSCW stators. A new indicator referred to as the “winding performance index” is proposed that evaluates the torque production ability of different winding layouts for FSCW stators. Multiple case-studies are investigated to evaluate the application of the proposed heuristic algorithm. The obtained results are validated through FEA and tests on a prototype FSCW machine.
- 2.A. Mohammadpour, L. Parsa, Asymmetrical multi-lane multi-phase motor drives, in Proceedings of the APEC (2014), pp. 2482–2487Google Scholar
- 7.W. Jin, Q. Ronghai, Z. Libing, Dual-rotor multiphase permanent magnet machine with harmonic injection to enhance torque density. IEEE Trans. Appl. Supercond. 22, 5202204–5202204 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.N. Bianchi, M. Dai Pre, Use of the star of slots in designing fractional-slot single-layer synchronous motors, in IEE Proceedings on Electric Power Applications, vol. 153 (2006), pp. 459–466Google Scholar
- 9.S. Skaar, O. Krovel, R. Nilssen, Distribution, coil-span and winding factors for PM machines with concentrated windings. ICEM 2006, 2–5 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.K. Huilin, Z. Libing, W. Jin, Harmonic winding factors and MMF analysis for five-phase fractional-slot concentrated winding PMSM, in 2013 International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS) (2013), pp. 1236–1241Google Scholar