Application of PSO Variants for Optimal Design of Two-Stage CMOS Op-amp with Robust Bias Circuit
This paper investigates the relative optimizing proficiency between two PSO alternatives, particularly craziness-based PSO (CRPSO) and PSO with an aging leader and challengers (ALC-PSO) for the design of two-stage CMOS op-amp with robust bias circuit. PSO is a very simple optimization algorithm, and it copies the communal manner of bird flocking. The main disadvantages of PSO are premature convergence and stagnation problem. CRPSO and ALC-PSO techniques individually have eliminated the disadvantages of the PSO technique. In this paper, CRPSO and ALC-PSO are individually employed to optimize the sizes of the MOS transistors to reduce the overall area taken by the circuit while satisfying the design constraints. The results obtained individually from CRPSO and ALC-PSO techniques are validated in SPICE environment. SPICE-based simulation results justify that ALC-PSO is much better technique than CRPSO and other formerly reported method for the design of the aforementioned circuit in terms of the MOS area, gain, and power dissipation, etc.
KeywordsAnalog IC CMOS two-stage op-amp PSO CRPSO ALC-PSO Robust bias
- 1.J. Kennedy, R. Eberhart, Particle swarm optimization, in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Neural Network, vol. 4 (1995), pp. 1942–1948Google Scholar
- 2.B.P. De, R. Kar, D. Mandal, S.P. Ghoshal, Design of symmetric switching CMOS inverter using PSOCFIWA, in Proceedings of the IEEE ICCSP’ 14, pp. 1818–1824, 3–5 April 2014, Melmaruvathur, Tamil Nadu, IndiaGoogle Scholar
- 4.R.A. Vural, T. Yildirim, Swarm intelligence based sizing methodology for CMOS operational amplifier, in Proceedings of the 12th IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Informatics (2011), pp. 525–528Google Scholar
- 5.V. Ceperic, Z. Butkovic, A. Baric, Design and optimization of self-biased complementary folded cascode, in Proceedings of the IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference (MELECON) (2006), pp. 145–148Google Scholar
- 11.R.J. Baker, H.W. Li, D.E. Boyce, CMOS Circuit Design, Layout, and Simulation (Wiley Interscience, New York, 1998)Google Scholar