Behavioral Modeling of Differential Inductive Seismic Sensor and Implementation of Its Readout Circuit
Behavioral modeling of a new type of seismic sensor referred to as Differential Inductive Seismic (DIS) sensor for monitoring of seismic frequencies that are very close to the natural frequencies of buildings and other structures is presented in this paper. The model is validated by finite element method analysis using COMSOL Multiphysics 4.3a results show that the DIS sensor is highly selective to vibrations at resonance frequency and has good sensitivity and noise immunity. The sensor emulator and its readout circuit (ROC) are physically implemented on Texas Instruments (TI) ASLK PRO board. The ROC faithfully retrieves the single-tone seismic signal.
KeywordsSeismic sensors DIS sensor Readout circuit COMSOL
The authors thank SMDP-C2SD project, University of Calcutta, funded by DeitY, Govt. of India, for providing research facilities and fellowship, and also UPE II project, University of Calcutta, for partial financial assistance.
- 1.Institute of Mine Seismology. http://www.imseismology.org/seismic-sensors
- 2.R. PallÃis-Areny, J.G. Webster, Sensors and Signal Conditioning. 2nd edn., Wiley (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.C. Collette, P. Carmona-Fernandez, S. Janssens, K. Artoos, M. Guinchard, C. Hauviller, Review of sensors for low frequency seismic vibration measurement. CERN, ATS/Note/2011/001 (TECH)Google Scholar
- 7.F. Garcia, E.L. Hixson, C.I. Huerta, H. Orozco, Seismic accelerometer. in Proceedings of IEEE IMTC, pp. 1342–1347, May 1999Google Scholar
- 8.W. Boyes, Instrumentation Reference Book (Butterworh-Heinemann/Elsevier, Burlington, MA, 2010)Google Scholar
- 9.S.A. Dyer, Survey of Instrumentation and Measurement (Wiley, NewYork, 2001)Google Scholar
- 10.B.S. Smith, A. Coull, Tall Building Structures (Wiley, New York, 1991)Google Scholar
- 11.W.P. Jacobs, Building periods: moving forward and backward. Struct. Mag. 3(6), 24–27 (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.A.A. Spector, I.O. Martukhovich, Classification of Signals for Seismic Intrusion Alarm SystemGoogle Scholar
- 14.R. PallÃis-Areny, J. G. Webster, Analog Signal Processing. Wiley (1999)Google Scholar
- 15.D. Chattopadhyay, P.C. Rakshit, Electronics Fundamentals and Applications. NewAge International Publications (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.The COMSOL Multiphysics 4.3a User’s Guide: 76-626, 940–1191Google Scholar