A Study on the Effect of a Rectangular Slot on Miniaturization of Microstrip Patch Antenna
In this paper, a study on the effect of rectangular slot in a non-radiating edge of rectangular microstrip patch antenna on the miniaturization of the antenna has been presented. It has been investigated from parametric studies that frequency becomes lower due to the increase of effective electrical path length along the slot dimensions. The simulation has been done with the method of moment-based software IE3D, and the results have been discussed with equivalent circuit of slotted antenna. With the optimum dimension of the slot, almost 78% compactness has been found with respect to conventional patch antenna.
KeywordsRectangular microstrip patch Rectangular slot Compactness
The authors are grateful to the Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Central Institute of Technology, Kokrajhar, Assam, India, for giving the opportunity and financial support in carrying out this work.
- 1.K.L. Wong, Planer Antennas for Wireless Communications (Wiley, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2003)Google Scholar
- 4.A. Roy, S. Bhunia, D. Chanda Sarkar, P.P. Sarkar, S.K. Chowdhury, Compact multi frequency strip loaded microstrip patch antenna with spur lines. Int. J. Microwave Wirel. Technol. 9(5), 1111–1121 (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.A. Roy, S. Bhunia, D. Chanda Sarkar, P.P. Sarkar, Slot loaded compact microstrip patch antenna for dual band operation. Prog. Electromagn. Res. C (PIER C) 73, 145–156 (2017)Google Scholar
- 6.U. Chakraborty, A. Kundu, S.K. Chowdhury, A.K. Bhattacharjee, Compact dual-band microstrip antenna for IEEE 802.11a WLAN application. IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett. 13, 407–410 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Shivnarayan, S. Sharma, B.R. Vishvakarma, Analysis of slot-loaded rectangular microstrip patch antenna. Indian J. Radio Space Phys. 34, 424–430 (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Shivnarayan, B.R. Vishvakarma, Analysis of notch-loaded patch for dual-band operation. Indian J. Radio Space Phys. 35, 435–442 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.I.J. Bahal, P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas (Artech House, 1980)Google Scholar
- 12.C.A. Balanis, Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics (Wiley, 1989), pp. 449–452Google Scholar