Prediction of Land Cover Changes in Vellore District of Tamil Nadu by Using Satellite Image Processing
Prediction of land cover changes is important to evaluate the land use or land cover changes to monitor the land use changing aspects for the Vellore district. Due to land use and land cover change, most of the rural areas around the Vellore district become unable to cope with environmental risk and agriculture. Population is one of the main issues in increasing the land cover changes in Vellore district. From the satellite, data can easily find out the changes in Vellore district. Result is compared with real time to show the extreme changes in the study area. Vegetation cover decreased, and settlement and built up areas increased due to increasing population. The Objective is to find out the land cover changes and predict how the Vellore district in future. And also, this study suggests some remedial measures to protect agriculture of Vellore district.
KeywordsLand cover changes Satellite image processing Vegetation index GIS Remote sensing
- 2.Nori, W., & Elsiddig, E. N. (2008). Detection of land cover changes using multi-temporal satellite imagery. Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences, (2004), 2004–2009. Retrieved from http://www.isprs.org/proceedings/XXXVII/congress/7_pdf/5_WG-VII-5/36.pdf.
- 3.Yang, L., Xian, G., Klaver, J. M., & Deal, B. (2003). Urban land-cover change detection through sub-pixel imperviousness mapping using remotely sensed data. Photogrammetric Engineering Remote Sensing, 69(9), 1003–1010. https://doi.org/10.14358/PERS.69.9.1003.
- 4.Huth, J., Kuenzer, C., Wehrmann, T., Gebhardt, S., Tuan, V. Q., & Dech, S. (2012). Land cover and land use classification with TWOPAC: Towards automated processing for pixel- and object-based image classification. Remote Sensing, 4(9), 2530–2553. https://doi.org/10.3390/rs4092530.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Uddin, K., & Gurung, D. R. (2010). Land cover change in Bangladesh—A knowledge based classification approach. Area, 1977, 41–46.Google Scholar
- 6.Yuan, F., Sawaya, K. E., Loeffelholz, B. C., & Bauer, M. E. (2005). Land cover classification and change analysis of the Twin Cities (Minnesota) metropolitan area by multitemporal Landsat remote sensing. Remote Sensing of Environment, 98(2–3), 317–328. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2005.08.006.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Zhou, R., Hu, Y., Li, Y., & He, H. (2010). Land use change modeling and predicting of Xinzhuang town based on CLUE-S model. In 2010 International Conference on Intelligent Computation Technology and Automation, ICICTA 2010, (Vol. 2, pp. 581–584). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICICTA.2010.525.
- 8.Xiongwei, H. (2008). The dynamic monitoring and prediction of the regional land use change based on RS and GIS: A case study of Changsha County. In 2008 International Workshop on Education Technology and Training & 2008 International Workshop on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, (pp. 596–599). https://doi.org/10.1109/ETTandGRS.2008.276.
- 9.Roberts, D. A., Numata, I., Holmes, K., Batista, G., Krug, T., Monteiro, A., … Chadwick, O. A. (2002). Large area mapping of land-cover change in Rondônia using multitemporal spectral mixture analysis and decision tree classifiers. Journal of Geophysical Research D: Atmospheres, 107(20). https://doi.org/10.1029/2001JD000374.
- 11.Liu, W., Seto, K., Sun, Z., & Tian, Y. (2006). Urban land use prediction model with spatiotemporal data mining and GIS. Urban Remote Sensing, (January), 165–178. https://doi.org/10.1201/b15917-12.
- 12.Procházka, A., Kolinova, M., Fiala, J., Hampl, P., & Hlavaty, K. (2000). Satellite image processing and air pollution detection. 2282–2285.Google Scholar
- 13.Starks, S. A. (n.d). Interval and fuzzy methods in remote sensing and satellite image processing. In Proceedings Joint 9th IFSA World Congress and 20th NAFIPS International Conference (Cat. No. 01TH8569), 4, 2019–2022. https://doi.org/10.1109/NAFIPS.2001.944378.
- 14.Kumar, N. S., Anouncia, S. M., & Prabu, M. (2013). Application of satellite remote sensing to find soil fertilization by using soil colour. International Journal of Online Engineering, 9(2), 44–49. Retrieved from http://dx.doi.org/10.3991/ijoe.v9i2.2530.
- 15.Prabu, M., & Anouncia, S. M. (2016). NDVI generation of Chlorophyll from OCM data for the Indian Ocean region using multispectral images. Research Journal of Pharmaceutical, Biological and Chemical Sciences, 7(5), 2855.Google Scholar
- 16.Zhu, W., Pan, Y., Hu, H., Li, J., & Gong, P. (2004). Estimating net primary productivity of terrestrial vegetation based on remote sensing : A case study. Sciences-New York 0(C), 528–531.Google Scholar
- 17.Huang, J., Wan, Y., & Shen, S. (2009). An object-based approach for forest-cover change detection using multi-temporal high-resolution remote sensing data. In Proceedings—2009 International Conference on Environmental Science and Information Application Technology, ESIAT 2009, (Vol. 1, pp. 481–484). https://doi.org/10.1109/ESIAT.2009.163.
- 18.Ramachandra, T., & Kumar, U. (2004). Geographic resources decision support system for land use, land cover dynamics analysis. In Proceedings of the FOSS/GRASS …, (September), (pp. 12–14).Google Scholar
- 19.Kumar, N. S., Anouncia, S. M., & Prabu, M. (2014). Fuzzy-based satellite image classification to find Greenery and used Land. International Journal of Tomography and Simulation, 25(1), 1–2.Google Scholar