A Concise History of Western Cultures
Chapter 1 was written by Shen Dongmiao and translated by Chen Zhen. This chapter provides an overview of Western culture according to its historical development—that is, from the Classical Period, through the medieval period, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance, and then Romanticism, to modern culture in the West. It focuses on the key cultural aspects of language and literature, theology and philosophy, the institution of parliament and education, architecture, art and music, thoughts, literature, theatre, and sculpture.
- Shouming, Jiang, and Hong Xia. 2004. A History of Western Culture. Beijing: The Science Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Wang, Lixin. 2005. A Brief History of Western Culture. Zhengzhou: Henan People’s Publishing House.Google Scholar
- Xu, Xin. 2007. A History of Western Culture. Beijing: Beijing University Press.Google Scholar
- Ye, Shengnian. 2002. A Referential History of Western Culture. Shanghai: Shanghai Foreign Language. Education Press.Google Scholar
- Zhan, Limin, and Peng Jiahai. 2007. An Introduction to Western Classical Culture. Wuhan: Wuhan University Press.Google Scholar