Technical Analysis of CNN-Based Face Recognition System—A Study
Face recognition is the essential security system, which is subjected to get more scrutiny in recent years especially in the field of research and also in industry. This study addresses the various approaches for recognizing face back on neural network by adopting convolutional neural network (CNN). The study has done on different techniques of face alignment, preprocessing techniques, and also in the size of the face images. This paper explains the computational analysis of face recognition system and emphasizes the accuracies and constraints of the images. The predominant face alignment approaches used are Dlib and constrained local model (CLM). For training, Tan-Triggs preprocessing technique is used in face image size of 96 × 96 and 64 × 64. The face recognition grand challenge (FRGC) dataset is used for the analysis, and it produced the accuracy of range from 90 to 98.30% on corresponding approaches.
KeywordsFace recognition CNN Deep learning Face alignment Dlib CLM Tan-Triggs FRGC
- 1.Florian Schrof, Dmitry Kalenichenko and James Philbin “FaceNet: A Unified Embedding for Face Recognition and Clustering” arXiv:1503.03832V3 [cs.CV], 17 June 2015.
- 2.K. Shanmugasundaram, S. Sharma and S. K. Ramasamy, “Face recognition with CLNF for uncontrolled occlusion faces,” 2016 IEEE International Conference on Recent Trends in Electronics, Information & Communication Technology (RTEICT), Bangalore, 2016, pp. 1704–1708. https://doi.org/10.1109/rteict.2016.7808124.
- 3.Tim Rawlinson, Abhir Bhalerao and Li Wang “Principles and Methods for Face Recognition and Face Modelling” In Handbook of Research on Computational Forensics, Digital Crime and Investigation: Methods and Solutions. Ed. C-T. Li. Chapter 3, pages 53–78. 2010.Google Scholar
- 5.Vahid Kazemi and Josephine Sullivan “One Millisecond Face Alignment with an Ensemble of Regression Trees”, CVPR 2014, computer vision foundation.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Sharma, K. Shanmugasundaram and S. K. Ramasamy, “FAREC — CNN based efficient face recognition technique using Dlib,” 2016 International Conference on Advanced Communication Control and Computing Technologies (ICACCCT), Ramanathapuram, 2016, pp. 192–195. https://doi.org/10.1109/icaccct.2016.7831628.
- 7.V.V. Starovoitov, D.I Samal and D.V. Briliuk “Three Approaches for Face Recognition” 6-th International Conference on Pattern Recognition and Image Analysis October 21–26, 2002, Velikiy Novgorod, Russia, pp. 707–711.Google Scholar
- 8.D. Cristinacce and T. Cootes. “A comparison of shape constrained facial feature detectors”. In 6th International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition 2004, Seoul, Korea, pages 375–380, 2004.Google Scholar
- 9.T. F. Cootes and C. J.Taylor. “Active shape models”. In 3rd British Machine Vision Conference 1992, pages 266–275, 1992.Google Scholar
- 10.T. F. Cootes, G. J. Edwards, and C. J. Taylor. “Active appearance models”. In 5th European Conference on Computer Vision 1998, Freiburg, Germany, volume 2, pages 484–498, 1998.Google Scholar