The Rules of Judicial Proof
In the summer of 1994, there were two successive car-jack murder cases of taxi drivers in the city of Chengde, Hebei Province. First, on the evening of 30th July, Liu Fujun was attacked in the city center. Second, on the night of 16th August, Zhang Ming was attacked in the suburbs. Both men were stabbed to death. In both cases, only a small amount of property was taken—a few hundred yuan (RMB), a pager, and so on—and the vehicles were abandoned at the scene. When searching for leads, the investigation team’s suspicion fell on four young people who lived in the countryside near the site of the second case. Local accounts identified the four as a gang of youths who were always up to no good. In October 1994, investigators searched the homes of Chen Guoqing and his three friends. An important piece of evidence was found in Chen’s home—a blood-stained knife. The investigators believed that Chen and the other three were guilty of theft and murder.
- Ai, Jun. 2001. Worries on polygraph. China Youth Daily, February 16.Google Scholar
- Garner, Bryan A. (Ed.). 1999. Black’s Law Dictionary, 7th ed, 48. St. Paul: West Publishing Co.Google Scholar
- Guo, Xinyang. 2011. Critical Evaluations of Wrongful Convictions, 140–152. Beijing: China Renmin Public Security University Press.Google Scholar
- He, Jiahong. 2011a. Admission and evaluation of evidence: From issues concerning the language of two ‘Provisions on Evidence’. Chinese Journal of Law 3.Google Scholar
- He, Jiahong. 2011b. Empirical studies on nominalization of criminal court trials. The Jurist (6).Google Scholar
- He, Jiahong, and He, Ran. 2012. Empirical studies of wrongful convictions in Mainland China. University of Cincinnati Law Review 80(4): 1278–79.Google Scholar
- Jon, Waltz. 1983. Criminal Evidence, 2nd ed. Chicago: Nelson-Hall Press.Google Scholar
- Li, Xianfeng. 2016. Hebei Supreme Court rejects appeal in 22 year old case of murder by Chen Guoqing. Beijing Youth Daily, Sohu News, August 29. http://news.sohu.com/20160629/n456903980.shtml. Retrieved on 16 Nov 2016.
- Zhang, Sulian, and Yan, Liu. 2002. Practical survey and analysis on assessment of evidence by judges. In Evidence Forum, vol. 4, 471–482. Beijing: China Procurator Press.Google Scholar