Active Control of Two-Dimensional Vortex-Induced Vibration of a Circular Cylinder Using a Pair of Synthetic Jets
This paper presents a study on the control of two-dimensional vortex-induced vibration (VIV) of a single circular cylinder at a low Reynolds number of 100 using a synthetic jet (SJ) pair. To facilitate this study, a lattice Boltzmann method based numerical framework is adopted. While its strength is fixed, the SJ pair operates either in phase or anti-phase over a wide excitation frequency range. The effects of the SJ excitation phase difference and frequency are systematically investigated. Simulation results reveal that both the in-phase and anti-phase SJ pairs are able to mitigate the VIV at higher excitation frequencies, while either the cross-flow or streamwise resonance (associated with large-amplitude VIV) may be induced by the SJ pair at lower frequencies.
KeywordsSynthetic jet Vortex-induced vibration Lattice Boltzmann method
The authors gratefully acknowledge the financial support for this study from The Research Grants Council of Hong Kong under General Research Fund (Project No.: PolyU 152493/16E).
- 1.Choi H, Jeon W, Kim J (2008) Control of flow over a bluff body. Annu Rev Fluid Mech 40:113–139Google Scholar
- 2.Wang C, Tang H, Yu S, Duan F (2017) Control of vortex-induced vibration using a pair of synthetic jets: Influence of active lock-on. Phys Fluids 29(8):083602Google Scholar
- 3.Wang C, Tang H, Yu S, Duan F (2017) Lock-on of vortex shedding to a pair of synthetic jets with phase difference. Phys Rev Fluids 2(10):104701Google Scholar
- 4.Du L, Sun X (2015) Suppression of vortex-induced vibration using the rotary oscillation of a cylinder. Phys Fluids 27(2):023603Google Scholar
- 5.Mohamad A (2011) Lattice Boltzmann method: fundamentals and engineering applications with computer codes. Springer, London, pp 1–13Google Scholar
- 6.Wang C, Tang H, Duan F, Yu S (2016) Control of wakes and vortex-induced vibrations of a single circular cylinder using synthetic jets. J Fluids Struct 60:160–179Google Scholar
- 7.Wang C, Tang H, Yu S, Duan F (2016) Active control of vortex-induced vibrations of a circular cylinder using windward-suction-leeward-blowing actuation. Phys Fluids 28(5):053601Google Scholar