Implementation of International Safety Standard EN ISO 13849 into Machinery of Tyre Industry
This paper presents application of international safety standard in risk assessment and risk reduction following by machinery directive. Many industries using machinery for manufacturing products have tendency to take risk from poor-quality of machinery design which may not be produced according to international safety standard. This can lead dangerous situation to machine user. The new standard EN ISO 13849-1 (Safety of machinery—Safety-related parts of control systems—Part 1: General principles for design, 2006)  which replaced the old standard EN 954-1 (Safety-related parts of control systems, 1996)  definitely in December 2011 made machine designer not be familiar with the new concept and feel confused due to most of concerned parameters shown in term of statistic value that there are difficulty in interpretation and understanding. In the present, there is still lack of examples of implementation international safety standard into machinery of specific industry, especially in tyre industry. Therefore the objective of this paper is made for implementation this standard into machinery of tyre industry in order to build a safe situation for machine user.
KeywordsAverage probability of dangerous failure per hour (PFHDavg) Common cause failure (CCF) Diagnostic coverage (DC) Mean time to dangerous failure (MTTFd) Performance level (PL) Safety-related parts of control system (SRP/CS)
I would like to sincerely thank my thesis advisor Assoc. Prof. Sakreya C. and also professors of the KMITL’s university for their participation in supporting my work and helping me get results of better quality.
I would like to thank my friends and my family for providing me with unfailing support and continuous encouragement throughout my years of study. This accomplishment would not have been possible without them.
- 1.ISO 13849-1:2006, Safety of machinery—safety-related parts of control systems—part 1: general principles for designGoogle Scholar
- 2.CEN EN 954-1:1996, Safety-related parts of control systemsGoogle Scholar
- 3.ISO 12100:2010, Safety of machinery—general principles for design—risk assessment and risk reductionGoogle Scholar
- 4.ISO 13849-1:1999, Safety of machinery—safety-related parts of control systems—part 1: general principles for designGoogle Scholar
- 5.IEC 60947-5-1:2003, Low-voltage switchgear and control gear–part 5: control circuit devices and switching elements–section 1: electromechanical control circuit devicesGoogle Scholar
- 6.EN ISO 13849-2:2010, Safety of machinery—safety-related parts of control systems—part 2: validationGoogle Scholar
- 7.EN 60204-1:2009, Safety of machinery—electrical equipment of machines—part 1: general requirementsGoogle Scholar