The Software Security Analysis for Digital Instrumentation and Control Systems of NPPs
- 575 Downloads
Software security relates to the economy and safety of nuclear power plants (NPPs). Cyber security is a hot research topic for NPPs. The standards and regulations have been established for cyber security in NPPs, such as regulatory guide 5.71. Cyber-attack is a threaten that may be happened at any point during the life cycle of the digital instrumentation and control systems. The vulnerabilities of information security can be reduced by physical protection, independent strategies and administrative measures. The security measures only concern with the cyber security for NPPs in commonly. The essence of digital instrumentation and control systems has not been paid enough attention. Software security is the last line of against the attacker. In this paper, the risk of software security has been analysed for the digital instrumentation and control systems in NPPs. The identification and detection measures have been proposed in the paper.
KeywordsSoftware security Security analysis I&C NPPs
This project was financially supported with funds which provided by a reliability research of reactor protection system which based on digital microprocessor and electrical equipment (national science and technology major project). The award number is 2014ZX06004002-004.
- 1.IEC 62645: Nuclear power plants – Instrumentation and control system –Requirements for security programmes for computer-based systems. International Electrotechnical Commission (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.IEEE 220.127.116.11: IEEE Standard Criteria for Digital Computers in Safety Systems of Nuclear Power Generating Stations. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.IEC 60880: Nuclear power plants – Instrumentation and control systems Important to safety – Software aspects for computer – based systems performing category A functions. International Electrotechnical Commission (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.HAD 102/16: Systems Important to Safety Based on Computer of Nuclear Power Plants (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.IEEE 1012: IEEE Standard for system and software verification and validation. The Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, W.H., Bai, T., Gu, P.F., et al.: Research on static testing of nuclear safety-critical software. Nucl. Sci. Eng. 36(3) (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Ye, W.P., Tang, J.Z., Chen, W.H.: Software V&V methods for safety digital I&C system of nuclear power plant. At. Energy Sci. Technol. 49 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Xi, W., Gu, P.F., Bai, T., Chen, W.H.: A study about software-implemented fault injection strategy for digital RPS in nuclear power plant. In: International Conference on Nuclear, vol. 25 (2017)Google Scholar
- 9.Gu, P.F., Xi, W., Chen. W.H., et al.: Evaluation system of software concept V&V about the safety digital I&C system in nuclear power plant. LNEE (Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering), vol. 400 (2016)Google Scholar
- 10.Gu, P.F., Wang, S.C., Chen, W.H., et al.: A study about safety I&C system software V&V in nuclear power plant. In: 24th International Conference on Nuclear Engineering, vol. 1 (2016)Google Scholar