Fatigue Life Estimation of Typical Fighter Aircraft Main Landing Gear Using Finite Element Analysis
- 766 Downloads
Fatigue analysis of main landing gear of typical fighter aircraft was carried out using MSC Fatigue software considering the strain spectra measured at critical location during the flight starting from taxiing, take-off to landing. In the absence of load information on the landing gear, a methodology was proposed to calculate the equivalent load system from measured strains and verified. Fatigue life of landing gear was obtained using various stress spectra based on stress-life approach and was compared with the fatigue life calculated using constant life diagram (CLD) approach. Fatigue life estimation using Gerber mean stress correction was found to be in good agreement with the fatigue life estimation using CLD approach. Fatigue analysis using maximum absolute principal stress criterion and linear damage rule give the conservative fatigue life, and hence, these criteria may be used as fatigue life estimation criteria for design.
KeywordsMain landing gear Fatigue life Stress spectra Goodman and Gerber mean stress corrections Maximum absolute principal stress
The authors would like to thank Head, Structural Technologies Division, CSIR-NAL and the Director, CSIR-NAL for their support and encouragement to carry out the work reported in this paper. The authors would also like to express their thanks to the people who contributed to this work directly or indirectly.
- 1.P. Beaudet, M. Roth, in Failure analysis case histories of canadian forces aircraft landing gear components. Landing Gear Loads, AGARD Conference Proceedings, 484 (1990)Google Scholar
- 2.M. Khondker, A.K.M. Lutful Kabir, A. Younes, Md Shelimuzzaman, S. Islam, in Landing Gear Shock Absorber Design, Concordia University, Summer 2009Google Scholar
- 3.M. Imran, R.M. Shabbir Ahmed, M. Haneef, Static and dynamic response analysis for landing gear of test air crafts. Int. J. Innovative Res. Sci. Eng. Technol. 3(5) (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.V.N. Divakaran, G.V.V. Ravi Kumar, P. Srinivasa Rao, Aircraft landing gear design and development, Infosys, 2015Google Scholar
- 5.Altair HyperMesh software, version 12.0, Altair HyperWorksGoogle Scholar
- 6.MSC Nastran solver, version 2012, MSC SoftwareGoogle Scholar
- 7.C.M. Manjunatha, Inflight strain data acquisition and fatigue life assessment of aircraft landing gear (Project Report, CSIR-NAL, 2013)Google Scholar
- 8.Military Specification—Airplane Strength and Rigidity Ground Loads for Navy Acquired Airplanes, MIL-A-8863B (AS), 6 May 1987Google Scholar
- 9.Part 25: Airworthiness Standards: Transport Category Airplanes Special Federal Aviation Regulations, SFAR No. 13, SFAR No. 109Google Scholar
- 10.Fatigue module in MSC Patran, version 2001, MSC SoftwareGoogle Scholar