Agricultural Policy: Supporting the New Developments in Japan’s Agriculture
Japan’s agriculture is changing both in the field and in policy terms. The first change is the development of new farm activities and a system of distribution of agricultural products, and the other is the breaking up of the “iron triangle” which has been the foundation of Japan’s agricultural policy to date.
In the field, managers practicing advanced agricultural management are beginning to appear. But the creation of food value chains based on “market in” strategies is lagging behind, and is being impeded by Japan’s distribution system.
Japan’s Agricultural Cooperatives (JAs) are the institutions behind the distribution problems. The Abe administration is working to break up the “iron triangle” which includes JAs, but the process is still underway. Further reform is desirable.
KeywordsAgricultural policy Food chain Market in Liberal Democratic Party Ministry of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries Agricultural Cooperatives “iron triangle” Agricultural Cooperative reform Abe administration Council for Regulatory Reform
- Honma, Masayoshi (2014), Nogyo Mondai: TPP Go Nosei wa Koukawaru (Agricultural Problems: How the TPP will Change Agricultural Policy), Chikumashobo Ltd (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Honma, Masayoshi (2015), “The TPP and agricultural reform in Japan,” in A. George Mulgan and M. Honma (eds.), The Political Economy of Japanese Trade Policy, Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 94–122.Google Scholar
- Ohizumi, Kazunuki (2018), “A New Direction for Agriculture in Japan,” in T. Hatta (ed.), Economic Challenges Facing Japan’s Regional Areas, Plagrave Macmillan, pp. 9–17.Google Scholar
- The 21st Century Public Policy Institute (2016), Atarashii Nogyo Bijinesu wo Motomete (Pursuit of New Agricultural Businesses), Research Project Report, February 2016 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Yamashita, Kazuhito (2015), Nihon Nogyo wa Sekai ni Kateru (Japanese Agriculture Can Compete with the World), Nikkei Publishing Inc (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Yamashita, Kazuhito (2018), “Japan’s Agricultural Policy: Escaping the Ancien Régime,” in T. Hatta (ed.), Economic Challenges Facing Japan’s Regional Areas, Plagrave Macmillan, pp. 19–27.Google Scholar