Breast Cancer Classification Using Deep Neural Networks
Early diagnosis of any disease can be curable with a little amount of human effort. Most of the people fail to detect their disease before it becomes chronic. It leads to increase in death rate around the world. Breast cancer is one of the diseases that could be cured when the disease identified at earlier stages before it is spreading across all the parts of the body. The medical practitioner may diagnose the diseases mistakenly due to misinterpretation. The computer-aided diagnosis (CAD) is an automated assistance for practitioners that will produce accurate results to analyze the criticality of the diseases. This chapter presents a CAD system to perform automated diagnosis for breast cancer. This method employed deep neural network (DNN) as classifier model and recursive feature elimination (RFE) for feature selection. DNN with multiple layers of processing attained higher classification rate than SVM. So, the researchers used deep learning method for hyper-spectral data classification. This chapter used DNN to learn deep features of data. The DNN with multiple layers of processing is applied to classify the breast cancer data. The system was experimented on Wisconsin Breast Cancer Dataset (WBCD) from UCI repository. The dataset partitioned into different sets of train-test split. The performance of the system is measured based on accuracy, sensitivity, specificity, precision, and recall. From the results, the accuracy obtained 98.62%, which is better than other state-of-the-art methods. The results show that the system is comparatively outperformed than the existing system.
KeywordsClassification Deep learning Healthcare system Feature selection Breast cancer diagnosis
- 5.Bewal, R., Ghosh, A., & Chaudhary, A. (2015). Journal of Clinical and Biomedical Sciences, 5(4), 143–148.Google Scholar
- 6.Bhattacherjee, A., Roy, S., Paul, S., Roy, P., Kausar, N. & Dey, N. (2015). Classification approach for breast cancer detection using back propagation neural network: a study. Biomedical Image Analysis and Mining Techniques for Improved Health Outcomes, p. 210.Google Scholar
- 7.Ghosh, S., Biswas, S., Sarkar, D. C., & Sarkar, P. P. (2016). Breast cancer detection using a neuro-fuzzy based classification method. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 9(14).Google Scholar
- 9.Huang, M. W., Chen, C. W., Lin, W. C., Ke, S. W., & Tsai, C. F. (2017). Svm and svm ensembles in breast cancer prediction. PloS one, 12(1), e0161501.Google Scholar
- 10.Jhajharia, S., Varshney, H. K., Verma, S., & Kumar, R. (2016). A neural network based breast cancer prognosis model with pca processed features. In: 2016 International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), pp. 1896–1901.Google Scholar
- 11.Jouni, H., Issa, M., Harb, A., Jacquemod, G., & Leduc, Y. (2016). Neural network architecture for breast cancer detection and classification. In: IEEE International Multidisciplinary Conference on Engineering Technology (IMCET), pp. 37–41.Google Scholar
- 13.Kiyan, T., & Yildirim, T. (2004). Breast cancer diagnosis using statistical neural networks. Journal of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, 4(2), 1149–1153.Google Scholar
- 14.Mert, A., Kılıc¸, N., Bilgili, E., & Akan, A. (2015). Breast cancer detection with reduced feature set. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine.Google Scholar
- 15.Nahato, K. B., Harichandran, K. N., & Arputharaj, K. (2015). Knowledge mining from clinical datasets using rough sets and backpropagation neural network. Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine.Google Scholar
- 16.Nayak, T., Dash, T., Rao, D. C., & Sahu, P. K. (2016). Evolutionary neural networks versus adaptive resonance theory net for breast cancer diagnosis. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Informatics and Analytics (ACM), p. 97.Google Scholar
- 19.Paulin, F., & Santhakumaran, A. (2011). Classification of breast cancer by comparing back propagation training algorithms. International Journal on Computer Science and Engineering, 3(1), 327–332.Google Scholar
- 20.Prevention Control: Center for Diseases Control and Prevention (2014). URL https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/breast/index.htm.
- 22.Yin, Z., Fei, Z., Yang, C., & Chen, A. (2016). A novel svm-rfe based biomedical data processing approach: Basic and beyond. In: IECON 2016-42nd Annual Conference of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, pp. 7143–7148.Google Scholar