Certificate Authentication and Credit System of MOOCs in China
Credit recognition in MOOCs is believed to be a key driver for the comprehensive reform of the higher education system, and relevant documents have been issued by China’s Ministry of Education to encourage innovation in its credit recognition mechanism. In Opinions on Strengthening Construction, Application and Management of Online Open Courses in Institutions of Higher Learning, the Ministry of Education calls for “the advancement of credit recognition for online open courses and innovation of credit management system,” “encourages colleges and universities to initiate credit recognition, credit transfer and learning process recognition in various ways such as online study and the combination of online study and classroom teaching provided that teaching quality can be assured,” sets out to “build intra-school & inter-school mechanisms of online study certification and credit recognition with assessment criteria, actively explores and promotes the application of online open courses, strengthen course selection management and credit management to guarantee the teaching quality” [JG (2015) No. 3]. Based on the data from reports and surveys, also by means of questionnaires and literature analysis, this chapter tries to depict the current landscape of certificate granting as well as credit recognition of MOOCs in China.
- Baidu Baike. (2015). Micro majors. http://baike.baidu.com/. December 31, 2015.
- Bu, C., Fan, M., & Lu, L. (2014). Teaching and learning in Chinese style MOOCs–Taking Shanghai Course Center as an example. Journal of the College of Northwest Adult Education, 4, 91–94.Google Scholar
- China Education Network. (2014). Trends of MOOC localization and mutual credit recognition. China Education Network, 1, 79.Google Scholar
- Department of Education in Guangdong Province. (2014). Opinions of Department of Education in Guangdong Province on implementation of credit system management in general institutes of higher learning [YJG (2014) No. 5]. http://www.gdhed.edu.cn/. December 31, 2015.
- Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education. (2015). Opinions on strengthening construction, application and management of online open courses in institutions of higher learning [JG (2015) No. 3]. http://www.moe.edu.cn/. December 31, 2015.
- Dong, S., & Lu, S. (2014). Mutual recognition of credits among 19 universities. China Education Daily, 001. April 16, 2014.Google Scholar
- New Curriculum Research. (2015). Shaanxi to expedite construction of mutual credit recognition for cross-school course selection and MOOCs. New Curriculum Research, 6(Mid-Month Edition), 77.Google Scholar
- Shanghai Education. (2013). Construction of Shanghai University Course Sharing Center in 2012. http://www.shmec.gov.cn/. December 31, 2015.
- Sun, S. (2015). Research on the design of MOOC-based “credit bank” system in China. Adult Education, 6, 57–59.Google Scholar
- Wu, H., Geng, P., Wang, Q., et al. (2015). Practice and study of elective credit cross universities of university physics course. Physics and Engineering, 2, 84–86.Google Scholar
- Wu, L., & Zhang, M. (2013). On curriculum elect and learning credit recognition in Guangzhou University Town: From the perspective of interscholastic online teaching. Journal of Distance Education, 6, 81–87.Google Scholar
- Zeng, X. (2015). From credit to degree: Integration of MOOC into university. Comparative Education Review, 8, 78–84.Google Scholar