Evaluation of Viscoplastic Parameters of an Austenitic Stainless Steel at High Temperature
- 914 Downloads
Metals at high temperatures are sensitive to strain rate effects and exhibit viscoplastic behavior. The Perzyna model is one of the most widely used ones to study rate-dependent plasticity. This paper presents the details of calibration of Perzyna model parameters of an austenitic stainless steel from tension tests and calibration of Chaboche and Voce model parameters from low-cycle fatigue test at 1000 K. Tests are conducted in an INSTRON 8862 electromechanical UTM. Perzyna model parameters are validated by comparing tension test results with finite element simulations using ANSYS (Version 16.0) software. Sensitivity of Perzyna model parameters on viscoplastic behavior is investigated for monotonic as well as cyclic loading situations. Perzyna model is combined with the Chaboche–Voce cyclic plasticity model for investigating cyclic loading. Finally, viscoplastic cyclic stress analysis of a double-walled rocket engine thrust chamber is carried out using a combination of Perzyna, Chaboche and Voce models and its cyclic life evaluated.
KeywordsANSYS Chaboche model Voce model Perzyna model Stainless steel UTM Viscoplasticity
The second author gratefully thanks Director, LPSC/ISRO, for granting permission to do her M. Tech thesis. Thanks are also due to Dr. R. Muthukumar, Deputy Director, MDA/LPSC, for permitting her to use the creep test facility and computational resources of SDAG for this work.
- 1.Wu HC (2005) Continuum mechanics and plasticity, vol 3, 2nd edn. CRC Press Company, Washington D.C., pp 225–231Google Scholar
- 4.Nordberg H (2004) Note on the sensitivity of stainless steels to strain rate. Avesta Polarit Research Foundation, Research report no. 04.0-1Google Scholar
- 5.ANSYS Mechanical APDL (2015) Version 15. ANSYS Inc, USAGoogle Scholar
- 6.Perzyna P (1968) Fundamental problems in viscoplasticity. Adv Appl Mech Acad Press 9:313–377Google Scholar
- 10.Kłosowski P, Mleczek A (2014) Parameters Identification of Perzyna and Chaboche viscoplastic models for aluminum alloy at temperature of 120 °C. Eng Trans 62(3):291–305Google Scholar
- 12.Anonymous (2015) ASTM-E8/E8M-15a, Standard test methods for tension testing of metallic materials. American Society for Testing and Materials, Philadelphia, USAGoogle Scholar
- 13.Voce E (1955) A practical strain-hardening function. Metallurgia, pp 219–225Google Scholar
- 14.Asraff AK, Sheela S, Paul A, Mathew A, Savithri S. Cyclic stress analysis of a rocket engine thrust chamber using Chaboche, Voce and Creep constitutive models. Trans Indian Inst Metals 69(2)2:495–500 Google Scholar