Analysis of the Relationship Between Substrate Properties and Patch Dimensions in Rectangular-Shaped Microstrip Antennas
Microstrip antennas contain one dielectric substrate in its basic form. Properties of the substrate play a vital role in design of microstrip antennas. Therefore, understanding the impact of the substrate is important to the antenna research community. This paper analyzes the relationship between substrate properties and patch dimensions by designing numerous rectangular-shaped microstrip antennas working at different resonant frequencies.
KeywordsMicrostrip antennas Permittivity Resonant frequency Substrate
- 1.C.A. Balanis, Antenna theory: analysis and design. John Wiley & Sons, 2005.Google Scholar
- 2.D.M. Pozar, “Microstrip antennas.” Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 80, no. 1, pp. 79–91, 1992.Google Scholar
- 3.G.P. Gauthier, A. Courtay & G.M. Rebeiz, “Microstrip antennas on synthesized low dielectric-constant substrates”. Antennas and Propagation IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 45, No. 8, pp. 1310–1314, 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Davidovitz & Y.T. Lo, “Input impedance of a probe-fed circular microstrip antenna with thick substrate”. Antennas and Propagation IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 34, No. 7, pp. 905–911, 1986.Google Scholar
- 5.P. Katehi & N.G. Alexopoulos, “On the effect of substrate thickness and permittivity on printed circuit dipole properties”. Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 31, No. 1, pp. 34–39, 1983.Google Scholar
- 6.D.H. Schaubert, D.M. Pozar & A. Adrian.“Effect of microstrip antenna substrate thickness and permittivity: comparison of theories with experiment”. Antennas and Propagation, IEEE Transactions on, Vol. 37, No. 6, pp. 677–682, 1989.Google Scholar
- 7.J.S. Dahele & K.F. Lee “Effect of substrate thickness on the performance of a circular-disk microstrip antenna”. IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, pp. 358–360, 1983.Google Scholar
- 8.B. Ahmed, I.S. Zahra, H. Khurshid & S. Muzahir Abbas. “Analytical study on effects of substrate properties on the performance of microstrip patch antenna”. International Journal of Future Generation Communication and Networking, Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 113–122, 2012.Google Scholar
- 9.Elrashidi, K. Elleithy & H. Bajwa, “Resonance Frequency, Gain, Efficiency and Quality Factor of a Microstrip Printed Antenna as a Function of Curvature for TM01 mode Using Different Substrates”. Journal of Wireless Networking and Communications, Vol.1, pp. 1–8, 2011.Google Scholar
- 10.K.V. Rop, D.B.O. Konditi, H.A. Ouma & S. Musyoki, “Application of adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system technique in design of rectangular microstrip patch antennas”. Journal of Agriculture, Science and Technology, Vol. 15, No. 1, pp. 147–160, 2014.Google Scholar
- 11.V. Hanumante, P. Bhattacharjee, S. Roy, P. Chakraborty & S. Mait, “Performance Analysis of Rectangular Patch Antenna for Different Substrate Heights”. International journal of Innovative Research in Electrical, Electronics, Instrumentation and Control Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 515–518, 2014.Google Scholar
- 12.G.S. Dev & A. Singh, “Design and Analysis of Multidielectric Layer Microstrip Antenna with varying Superstrate Layer Characteristics”. International Journal of Advances in Engineering & Technology, Vol.3, pp. 55–68, 2012.Google Scholar
- 13.Raj Gaurav Mishra, Ranjan Mishra, Piyush Kuchhal, Design of Broadband Monopole Microstrip Antenna Using Rectangular Slot, Volume 479, Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, pp. 683–688, ISBN: 978-981-10-1707-0. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-1708-7_78.
- 14.Ranjan Mishra, Jeevani Jayasinghe, Raj Gaurav Mishra, Piyush Kuchhal, Design and Performance Analysis of a Rectangular Microstrip Line Feed Ultra-Wide Band Antenna, International Journal of Signal Processing, Image Processing and Pattern Recognition, SERSC Publications, vol. 9, No. 6, pp. 419–426, July, 2016. http://dx.doi.org/10.14257/ijsip.2016.9.6.36.
- 15.Ranjan Mishra, Raj Gaurav Mishra, Piyush Kuchhal, Analytical Study on the Effect of Dimension and Position of Slot for the Designing of Ultra Wide Band (UWB) Microstrip Antenna, 5th IEEE International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), 978-1-5090-2028-7, Sept 2016.Google Scholar