Cyber Defence Capabilities in Complex Networks
This chapter presents a quick overview about the existing cyber Defence capabilities and cyber ranges in complex networks where operations testbeds meant to bring improvements in cyber security training. The current chapter gives a brief on the problem area where cyber developments within the Ministry of Defence (MoD) are introduced along with the test range. The research goal is introduced as well as the study limitations and desired results. The chapter ends with some recommendations and suggestions that the researcher came up with based on the results of the study for complex networks.
- 1.Ottis, Rain and Lorents, Peeter. 2010. Cyberspace: Definitions and Implications. In 5th international conference on information warfare and security, (Dayton OH, US: Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence).Google Scholar
- 2.Wiener, Norbert. 1948. Cybernetics: Or control and communication in the animal and the machine. Cambridge: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- 3.Thill, Scott. March 17, 1948: William Gibson. 2011. Father of Cyberspace. Wired.com. March 2011. http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2011/03/0317cyberspace-author-william-gibson-born/.
- 4.Kuehl, Dr Dan. 2009. From Cyberspace to Cyberpower: Defining the Problem. [book auth.] Stuart H. Starr, and Larry K. Wentz Franklin D. Kramer. Cyberpower and National Security. s.l.: Potomac Books, Inc., Vols. in Cyberpower and National Security, ed. Franklin D. Kramer, Stuart H. Starr, and Larry K. Wentz.Google Scholar
- 5.Cornish, Paul, David Livingstone, Dave Clemente, and Claire Yorke. 2010. On cyber warfare. London: Chatham House. November.Google Scholar
- 6.Andress and Winterfeld. 2011. Cyber warfare; techniques, tactics and tools for security practitioners. New York: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- 7.US Department of Defence. The National Military Strategy for Cyberspace Operations. December 2006.Google Scholar
- 8.Ministry of Security and Justice. Cyber Security Beeld Nederland. December June 2012. CSBN-2.Google Scholar
- 9.US Department of Defence. Joint Publication 3-0, Joint Operations. August 2011.Google Scholar
- 10.NATO. Allied Joint Doctrine for Information Operations. November 2009. AJP 3.10.Google Scholar
- 11.Mirkovic, Jelena, et al. 2010. The DETER project: Advancing the science of cyber security experimentation and test. IEEE. 978-1-4244-6048-9/10.Google Scholar
- 12.West-Brown, et al. Handbook for computer security incident response teams (CSIRTs). (New York: Carnegie Mellon University, 2003). CMU/SEI-2003-HB-002.Google Scholar
- 13.Benzel, et al. 2007. Design, Deployement and Use of the DETER Testbed. In DETER community workshop on cyber-security and test, Boston, August 2007.Google Scholar
- 14.NC3A. 2010. Cyber Defence Capability Framework. December 2010.Google Scholar
- 15.BuxBaum, Peter A. 2011. Building a Better ’Cyber Range’. August 2011.Google Scholar
- 16.Sabo, Robert P. 2006. Standing Up the Information Operations Range. 2006.Google Scholar
- 17.Powell, Robert, Holmes, Timoty K. and Pie, Cesar E. 2010. The information assurance range. ITEA Journal 31: 473–477.Google Scholar
- 18.UK Ministry of Defence. Defence Minister opens UK cyber security test range. Ministry of Defence. http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/DefenceMinisterOpensUkCyberSecurityTestRange.htm.
- 19.US Department of Defence. 2009. The Global Information Grid (GIG) 2.0. Concept of Operations. March 2009. Version 1.1.Google Scholar
- 20.Watson. Combat Readiness through Resilience in Hostile Cyber Environments.Google Scholar
- 21.Welshans. 2010. History of cyber testing and evaluation - A voice from the front lines. ITEA Journal 31: 449–452.Google Scholar
- 22.Benzel, et al. 2009. Current Developements in DETER Cybersecurity Testbed Technology.Google Scholar
- 23.DARPA. National Cyber Range. http://www.darpa.mil/Our_Work/STO/Programs/National_Cyber_Range_(NCR).aspx.
- 24.Defence Information Systems Agency. Department of Defence Information Assurance Range: A Venue for Test and Evaluation in Cyberspace. August 2011.Google Scholar
- 25.NATO Cooperative Cyber Defence Centre of Excellence. CCD COE Training Courses -CCD COE. http://www.ccdcoe.org/236.html.