Control of UAV Using GSM Technology
This paper presents a technique to control unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) using the well-known GSM technology. In this technique, the user will give command to the UAV from an Android mobile phone through an Android application. The application will access the GSM technology of the mobile phone. There will be a GSM modem installed at the UAV, and it will be connected to the flight controller. The user will send attention commands (AT commands) to the modem at the receiving end through the Android application. The modem will further communicate with the flight controller and thus, the UAV can be controlled from an Android mobile phone using GSM technology.
KeywordsUAV control GSM Android application AT commands
The authors wish to give special thanks to Prof. M.S. Prasad and Prof. Vivek Kumar for their noteworthy inputs and suggestions. The authors also wish to thank the Amity Institute of Aerospace Engineering for the opportunity.
- 1.Home Appliances Control System Based On Android Smartphone; Sachin Kishor Khadke Student, Department of Electronics and Telecommunication NBN Sinhgad School of Engineering, Pune, India. (2014) IOSR J Electron Commun Eng (IOSR-JECE), Ver.III 9(3), 67–72, e-ISSN: 2278-2834, p-ISSN: 2278-8735 Google Scholar
- 2.Drake JJ, Fora PO, Lanier Z, Mulliner C, Idley S, Wicherski G. Android Hacker’s HandbookGoogle Scholar
- 3.Meier R. Professional Android 4 Application DevelopmentGoogle Scholar
- 4.Schildt H (ed.). The complete reference JAVA, 7th edn. New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 5.Conder S, Darcey L. Android wireless application development, 3rd edn. Features, Android 4.0, vol 1Google Scholar
- 6.Hoffmann GM, Rajnarayan DG, Waslander SL, Dostal D, Jang JS, Tomlin CJ (2004) The Stanford testbed of autonomous rotorcraft for multi agent control (STARMAC)Google Scholar
- 7.Arducopter—Arduino-based autopilot for multirotor craft, from quadcopters to traditional helis—Google Project Hosting. Code.google.comGoogle Scholar
- 8.Chakravorty R, Cartwright J, Pratt I (2002) Practical experience with TCP over GPRSGoogle Scholar
- 9.Cho YC, Jeon JW (2008) Remote robot control system based on DTMF of mobile phone. IEEE international conference INDIN, July 2008Google Scholar
- 10.Sunday AO, Ibrahim VM, Joshua, A (2012) Remote control of electrical appliances using GSM networks. Intern J Eng Res Develop 1(9):38–45, ISSN: 2278-067XGoogle Scholar
- 11.Banerji S (2013) Design and implementation of an unmanned vehicle using a GSM network with microcontrollers. Intern J Sci Eng Tech Res 2(2):367–374Google Scholar
- 12.Kelkar A (2014) Implementation of unmanned vehicle using GSM network with arduino. Intern J Adv Res Comp Sci Softw Eng 4(4):509–516Google Scholar