Chinese Expansion in Africa in the Twenty-First Century: Characteristics and Impacts
- 252 Downloads
China’s new position in the international economy, and especially the rise of Sino-African commercial and financial relations, has contributed strongly to the improvement of macroeconomic conditions in Africa. Export volumes and export profits have increased, while investments and aid have created new opportunities. However, the new relationship has raised once again the fundamental question regarding African countries’ dependence on primary goods exports. This analyzes the general features of Chinese expansion in Africa in the first decade of the twenty-first century, focusing on China’s foreign policy towards Africa, the new commercial and financial relations, and their impact on socioeconomic trends and structural change in Africa.
KeywordsChina Africa Foreign direct investment Primary goods exports Structural change
- Alves, A. C. (2012). Taming the dragon: China’s oil interests in Angola. In Power and Alves (2012), ‘China and Angola—A marriage of convenience?’. Pambazuka Press.Google Scholar
- Aremu, F. A. (2009) A comparative study of Japan and China’s African diplomacy in contemporary historical context. Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, http://r-cube.ritsumei.ac.jp/bitstream/10367/225/1/RJAPS23_A%20Comparative%20Study%20of%20Japan%20and%20China’s%20African%20Diplomacy%20.pdf. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Beijing Action Plan. (2007–09). Forum on China-Africa Cooperation, http://www.fmprc.gov.cn/zflt/eng/zyzl/hywj/t280369.htm. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Blankendal, N. (2008). China’s energy supply security: The quest for African oil. M.Sc. thesis, International School for Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Brautigam, D. (2015). Will Africa feed China? (p. 2015). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Brautigam, D., & Xiaoyang, T. (2009). China’s engagement in African agriculture: Down to the Countryside. Foreign Affairs, The China Quarterly, 199(September), 686–706.Google Scholar
- China-Africa Economic and Trade Cooperation. (2010). Information office of the state council. Beijing: PRC.Google Scholar
- Cintra, M. A., Pinto, E. C., & Silva Filho, E. B. da. (Eds.). (2015). China em transformação: dimensões econômicas e geopolíticas do desenvolvimento. Rio de Janeiro: IPEA.Google Scholar
- Cissé, D. (2012). FOCAC: Trade, investments and aid in China–Africa relations. Policy Briefing, Centre of Chinese Studies, Stellenbosch University.Google Scholar
- ERA [Executive Research Associates]. (2009). China in Africa: Strategic overview, http://www.ide.go.jp/English/Data/Africa_file/Manualreport/pdf/china_all.pdf. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- EXIMBANK. (various years). Annual Reports, http://english.eximbank.gov.cn/. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Foster, V., Butterfield, W., Chen, C., & Pushak, N. (2008). Building bridges—China’s growing role as infrastructure financier for Africa, trends and policy options, no. 5. The World Bank.Google Scholar
- IMF [International Monetary Fund]. (various years). World economic outlook database, http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/weo/2013/01/weodata/index.aspx. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Kaplinksy, R., & Morris, M. (2009). Chinese FDI in Sub-Saharan Africa: Engaging with large dragons. European Journal of Development Research, 24(1).Google Scholar
- Lee, P. (2009). China’s copper deal back in the melt, Asia Times, http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China_Business/KF12Cb02.html. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Medeiros, C. A. de. (1999). Economia e Política do Desenvolvimento recente na China. Revista de Economia Política, 19(3), 75.Google Scholar
- MOFCOM [Ministry of Commerce of the PRC]. (various years). Statistical bulletin of China’s outward foreign direct investment, http://english.mofcom.gov.cn/. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Nakatani, P., Falerios, R. N., Vargas, N. C., Felipe, P. C., Nabuco, G., Helder, T., et al. (2014). A expansão internacional da China através da compra de terras no Brasil e no mundo [The international expansion of China through the acquisition of lands in Brazil and the world]. Revista Textos & Contextos (Porto Alegre), 13(1), 58–73.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- NBSC [National Bureau of Statistics of China]. (various years). China statistical yearbook, http://www.stats.gov.cn/english/. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Ncube, M., Lufumpa, C. L., & Ndikumana, L. (2010). Chinese trade and investment activities in Africa. Policy Brief, 1(4). (The African Development Bank Group Chief Economist Complex).Google Scholar
- Ocampo, J. A., & Erten, B. (2013). The global implications of falling commodity prices, http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/china-s-growth-slowdown-and-the-end-of-the-commodity-price-super-cyle-by-jose-antonio-ocampo-and-bilge-erten#iRdPGvyaBZhv1xRW.99. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- OECD. (various years). StatExtracts database, http://stats.oecd.org. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Oliveira, A. P. (2007). A política africana da China, www.casadasafricas.org.br/site/img/upload/674760.pdf. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Prebisch, R. (2000).  O desenvolvimento econômico da América Latina e alguns de seus principais problemas. In R. Bielshowsky (Ed.) Cinquenta anos de pensamento da CEPAL.Google Scholar
- Quiang, Z. (2008). Mapping Chinese development assistance in Africa: A synthesis analysis of Angola. Mozambique e Zimbabwe, AFRODAD, http://www.afrodad.org. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Shambaugh, D. (2013). China goes global: A partial power. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Taylor, I. (2009). China’s new role in Africa. Lynne Rienner.Google Scholar
- Taylor, I. (2011). The Forum on China-Africa Cooperation (FOCAC). New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- UNComtrade. (various years). Database, http://comtrade.un.org/db. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- UNCTAD. (various years). UnctadStats database, http://unctadstat.unctad.org. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- Wei, S.-J. (2016). ‘China’s Slowdown and Asia’s Economy’, https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/china-slowdown-asian-economy-by-shang-jin-wei-2016-01. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- White Paper. (2010). China-Africa economic and trade cooperation. Beijing: The Information Office of the State Council, http://www.gov.cn/englisFh/official/2010-12/23/content_1771603.htm. Retrieved June 22, 2017.
- White Paper. (2006). China’s African Policy. Beijing: Information Office of the State Council.Google Scholar
- World Bank. (2012a). African regional briefing.Google Scholar
- World Bank. (2012b). Annual report.Google Scholar
- Youfa, L. (2011). ‘Chinese expert on China-Africa relations over past 55 years’, interview of Vice President of China Institute of International Studies, www.focac.org/eng/zfgx/t805423.htm. Retrieved June 22, 2017.