Increasing Route Availability in Internet of Vehicles Using Ant Colony Optimization
Smart City, where a large number of self-configurable and intelligent devices communicate with each other, provides a platform for collaborative decision making processes affecting virtually every other device present in the ecosystem. Internet of Vehicles (IoV) forms a major part of thus ecosystem that comprises of mobile vehicles capable of generating, storing and moreover processing the data flowing through the system. The vehicles continuously communicate with each other and with the external environment to collect and process real-time information. This collaboration provides a means to build up optimized routing decisions that may lead to the improvement in overall congestion suffered by the network. In this paper, we apply two optimization algorithms Any Colony and Firefly Optimization, on the real-time data collected from various vehicular sources to provide them optimized and congestion-free routes. Various road parameters have been considered that may affect the selection of a particular route toward the destination. The results of experimental setup, conducted using two open source simulators NS2 and SUMO, have shown a predominant enhancement by reducing the average travelling time of the vehicles in the complete system taken into consideration.
KeywordsRoute optimization Internet of vehicles Ant colony optimization
- 1.Medagliani, P., Leguay, J., Duda, A., Rousseau, F., Duquennoy, S., Raza, S., Ferrari, G., Gonizzi, P., Cirani, S., Veltri, L., Monton, M.: Internet of Things Applications-From Research and Innovation to Market Deployment, pp. 287–313. The River Publishers, Amsterdam (2014)Google Scholar
- 3.Li, J.: Vehicle routing problem with time windows for reducing fuel consumption. J. Comput. 7(12), 3020–3027 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Pazooky, S., Rahmatollahi Namin, S., Soleymani, A., Samadzadegan, F.: An evaluation of potentials of genetic algorithm in shortest path problem. In: EGU General Assembly Conference Abstracts, vol. 11, pp. 80–98 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Sahoo, A., Swain, S.K., Pattanayak, B.K., Mohanty, M.N.: An optimized cluster based routing technique in VANET for next generation network. In: Satapathy, S., Mandal, J., Udgata, S., Bhateja, V. (eds.) Information Systems Design and Intelligent Applications. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol. 433, pp. 667–675. Springer, New Delhi (2016). doi: 10.1007/978-81-322-2755-7_69 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Oranj, A.M., Alguliev, R.M., Yusifov, F., Jamali, S.: Routing algorithm for vehicular ad hoc network based on dynamic ant colony optimization. Int. J. Electron. Electr. Eng. 4(1), 79–83 (2016)Google Scholar