Geriatric Population: Suicide as a Road to Relief or to Release
Life has many phases and it forces a person to face what it offers. Those who survive go to the next phase but those who fail face significant emotional turmoil. The issue is what factor plays a predominant role when a person commits suicide? Suicide is common among all the ages but when it comes to suicide in elder people it leaves us with many unanswered questions. One of them being, ‘why at this stage of life?’ This is the phase where the person has lived almost all her/his entire life fulfilling all responsibilities. The concern is why at this last phase of life? Was that situation inevitable? Had the situation became so worse that ending life was the last resort to overcome the obstacle? These concerns gave rise to think whether suicide is a road to relief or to release? With this aim the current topic will explore and explain the factors, the conditions and the psyche of the elderly people who commit suicide and how and in what conditions it can be prevented.
KeywordsDepression Emotional conditions Geriatric population Mental health Suicide
- Ahearn, E. P., Jamison, K. R., Steffens, D. C., Cassidy, F., Provenzale, J. M., Lehman, A., …, Krishnan, K. R. (2001). MRI correlates of suicide attempt history in unipolar depression. Biological Psychiatry, 50(4), 266–270.Google Scholar
- Beach, S. R., Schulz, R., Castle, N. G., & Rosen, J. (2010). Financial exploitation and psychological mistreatment among older adults: Differences between African Americans and non-African Americans in a population-based survey. Gerontologist, 50(6), 744–757.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Bhagavad Gita. (2016a). Version 2: Chapter 13. Retrieved from http://sanskrit.app.arat.us/?tmp=verses&chapter=2.
- Bhagavad Gita. (2016b). Chapter 8: Text 6: Attaining the supreme. Retrieved from http://www.asitis.com/8/6.html.
- Birkeland, A., & Natvig, G. K. (2009). Coping with ageing and failing health: a qualitative study among elderly living alone. International Journal of Nursing Practice, 15(4), 257–64.Google Scholar
- Erikson, E. H. (1959). Childhood and society. New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- Fässberg, M. M., Cheung, G., Canetto, S. S., Erlangsen, A., Lapierre, S., Lindner, R., Draper, B.,… Wærn, M. (2016). A systematic review of physical illness, functional disability, and suicidal behaviour among older adults. Aging Mental Health, 20(2), 166–194.Google Scholar
- Fässberg, M. M., Van Orden, K. A., Duberstein, P., Erlangsen, A., Lapierre, S., Bodner, E., Canetto, … Waern, M. (2012). A systematic review of social factors and suicidal behaviour in older adulthood. International Journal of Environment Research Public Health, 9(3), 722–745.Google Scholar
- Fässberg, M. M., Östling, S., Braam, A.W., Bäckman, K., Copeland, J. R., Fichter, M., Kivelä, S. L., … Waern, M. (2014). Functional disability and death wishes in older Europeans: Results from the EURODEP concerted action. Journal of Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 49(9), 1475–1482.Google Scholar
- Fernández-Ballesteros, G. R., Zamarrón Casinello, M. D., López Bravo, M. D., Molina Martínez, M. Á., Díez Nicolás, J., Montero López, P., & Schettini del Moral, R. (2010). Successful aging: Criteria and predictors. Psicothema, 22(4), 641–647.Google Scholar
- Government Accountability Office. (2011). Elder justice: Stronger federal leadership could enhance national response to elder abuse. Retrieved from http://aging.senate.gov/events/hr230kb2.pdf.
- Hall, G. S. (1922). Senescence: The last half of life. New York, NY: D. Appleton & Co.Google Scholar
- Hawkley, L. C., Hughes, M. E., Waite, L. J., Masi, C. M., Thisted, R. A., & Cacioppo, J. T. (2008). From social structural factors to perceptions of relationship quality and loneliness: The Chicago health, aging, and social relations study. Journal of Gerontology, Series B, Psychological Science and Social Science, 63(6), 375–384.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Health Quality Ontario. (2008). Social isolation in community-dwelling seniors: An evidence-based analysis. Ontario Health Technology Assessment Series, 8(5), 1–49.Google Scholar
- Karam, E. G., Itani, L., Fayyad, J., Hantouche, E., Karam, A., Mneimneh, Z., …, Rihmer, Z. (2015). Temperament and suicide: A national study. Journal of Affective Disorder, 15(184), 123–128.Google Scholar
- Mouton, C. P. (2003). Intimate partner violence and health status among older women. Psychological well-being among older adults: Exploring the role of psychosocial resources and deficits. The Journals of Gerontology Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Sciences, 66B(2), 217–229.Google Scholar
- National Crime Record Bureau. (2014). Accidental deaths & suicide in India. Ministry of home affairs, Government of India (p. 192). Retrieved from http://ncrb.nic.in/StatPublications/ADSI/ADSI2014/chapter-2%20suicides.pdf and http://ncrb.nic.in/StatPublications/ADSI/ADSI2014/adsi-2014%20full%20report.pdf.
- Pompili, M., Gonda, X., Serafini, G., Innamorati, M., Sher, L., Amore, M., …, Girardi, P. (2013). Epidemiology of suicide in bipolar disorders: A systematic review of the literature. Bipolar Disorder, 15(5), 457–490.Google Scholar
- Santini, Z. I., Koyanagi, A., Tyrovolas, S., & Haro, J. M. (2015). The association of relationship quality and social networks with depression, anxiety, and suicidal ideation among older married adults: Findings from a cross-sectional analysis of the Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing (TILDA). Journal of Affective Disorder, 179, 134–141.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Savikko, N., Routasalo, P., Tilvis, R., & Pitkälä, K. (2010). Psychosocial group rehabilitation for lonely older people: Favourable processes and mediating factors of the intervention leading to alleviated loneliness. International Journal of Older People Nursing, 5(1), 16–24.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Segal, D. L., Gottschling, J., Marty, M., Meyer, W. J., & Coolidge, F. L. (2015). Relationships among depressive, passive-aggressive, sadistic and self-defeating personality disorder features with suicidal ideation and reasons for living among older adults. Aging Mental Health, 19(12), 1071–1077.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Serafini, G., Pompili, M., Innamorati, M., Giordano, G., Montebovi, F., Sher, L., …, Girardi, P. (2012). The role of microRNAs in synaptic plasticity, major affective disorders and suicidal behaviour. Neuroscience Research, 73(3), 179–190.Google Scholar
- Taylor, T. N., Munoz-Plaza, C. E., Goparaju, L., Martinez, O., Holman, S., Minkoff, H. L., …, Wilson, T. E. (2016). The pleasure is better as I’ve gotten older: Sexual health, sexuality, and sexual risk behaviours among older women living with HIV. Archives of Sexual Behaviour. doi: 10.1007/s10508-016-0751-1
- Tukol, Justice T. K. (1976). Sallekhanā is not suicide (1st ed). Ahmedabad: L.D. Institute of Indology. Retrieved from http://www.jainworld.com/education/seniors/senles15.htm.
- United Nations Population Division (UN). (2011). World Population Prospects: The 2010 Revision (New York: United Nations, 2011). In Population Reference Bureau. Today’s research on aging. Retrieved from http://www.prb.org/pdf12/TodaysResearchAging25.pdf.
- Van Beljouw, I. M., van Exel, E., de Jong Gierveld, J., Comijs, H. C., Heerings, M., Stek, M. L., & van Marwijk, H. W. (2014). Being all alone makes me sad: Loneliness in older adults with depressive symptoms. International Psychogeriatrics, 26(9), 1541–1551.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization, WHO. (2016). Mental health and older adults. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs381/en/.
- World Health Organization, WHO. (2015). Aging and health. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs404/en/.
- Wolf, R. (2000). Introduction: The nature and scope of elder abuse. Generations, 24(2), 6–11.Google Scholar
- World Health Organization (2009). World report on violence and health. Retrieved from http://www.who.int/violence_injury_prevention/violence/world_report/en/summary_en/.
- World Health Organization. (1999). Figures and facts about suicide. Geneva, Switzerland: Department of Mental Health, World Health Organization (pp. 1–122). Retrieved from http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/1999/WHO_MNH_MBD_99.1.pdf.
- World Health Organization. (2002). The World Health Report 2002: Reducing risks, promoting healthy life. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization Publication (pp. 1–230). Retrieved from http://www.who.int/whr/2002/en/whr02_en.pdf?ua=1.