The Case of the iPad
- 967 Downloads
This chapter offers a critical perspective on the uptake of mobile technologies in education by interweaving personal stories with multiple theoretical perspectives. Through a series of provocations, readers are invited to consider ideas that problematize mobility and access, introduce and rework environmental concerns and question the impact of software architecture, algorithms and coding. The chapter details areas that have so far been absent from work at the intersection of literacy and technology and in so doing outlines areas that are rich with possibility for further research.
- Apple Corporation. 2015. iPad Pro: Environmental Report. http://images.apple.com/environment/pdf/products/archive/2015/iPadPro_PER_sept2015.pdf. Accessed 27 December 2016.
- Apple Corporation. 2016. Quarterly Report. http://www.apple.com/newsroom/2016/10/apple-reports-fourth-quarter-results.html. Accessed 4 January 2016.
- Australian Curriculum Assessment & Reporting Authority. 2014. Creative and Critical Thinking F-10 Curriculum. http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/technologies/digital-technologies/curriculum/f-10?layout=1. Accessed 27 December 2016.
- Bachelard, Gaston. 1994. Trans. J.R. Stilgoe. The Poetics of Space: The Classic Look at How We Experience Intimate Places. Boston, Ma: Beacon.Google Scholar
- Beinaimee, Pierre. 2015. Military dolphins help defend the world’s largest stockpile of nuclear weapons. Business Insider, March 13. http://uk.businessinsider.com/the-worlds-largest-stockpile-of-nuclear-weapons-is-defended-by-dolphins-2015-3?r=US&IR=T. Accessed 27 December 2016.
- Brown, Wendy. 2003. Neo-liberalism and the end of liberal democracy. Theory & Event 7 (1) n.p.Google Scholar
- Burnett, C, Merchant, G. 2016. Boxes of Poison: Baroque Technique as Antidote to Simple Views of Literacy. Journal of Literacy Research, 48(3): 258–279.Google Scholar
- Chikadaya, Batsirai. 2016: Apple iPads lead in a declining tablet market, here are the top 5 devices. Techzim, November 1. http://www.techzim.co.zw/2016/11/apple-ipads-lead-declining-tablet-market/#.WBh6mY_XIdV. Accessed 31 December 2016.
- Department for Education. 2013. National Curriculum in England: Computing programmes of study. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-curriculum-in-england-computing-programmes-of-study/national-curriculum-in-england-computing-programmes-of-study. Accessed 27 December 2016.
- Education Scotland. 2014. Digital learning and teaching: Our vision for digital learning. http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Education/Schools/ICTinLearning. Accessed 27 December 2016.
- Foucault, Michel. 1994. The subject and power. In Michel Foucault: Power, ed. James Faubion. New York: New Press.Google Scholar
- Foucault, Michel. 1997. The ethics of the concern for self as a practice of freedom. In Ethics: Subjectivity and Truth, ed. Paul Rabinow, 281–302. London: Allen Lane.Google Scholar
- Gergen, Kenneth. 2003. Self and Community in the New Floating Worlds. In Mobile Democracy, Essays on Society, Self and Politics, ed. K. Nyiri, 103–114. Vienna: Passagen.Google Scholar
- Greenpeace. 2014. Green Gadgets: Designing the future. http://www.greenpeace.org/international/Global/international/publications/toxics/2014/Green%20Gadgets.pdf. Accessed 27 December 2016.
- Latour, Bruno. 1987. Science in Action. How to follow Scientists and Engineers through Society. Milton Keynes: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Law, John. 2004. After Method: Mess in Social Science Research. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Mason, John. 2001. Researching Your Own Practice: The Discipline of Noticing. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Parry, B., Burnett, C. & Merchant, G. (eds.) 2017. Literacy, media, technology: past, present and future. London: Bloomsbury.Google Scholar
- Ponge, Francis. 1942. Le parti pris des choses. Paris: Gallimard.Google Scholar
- Thielman, Sam. 2016. Eagle-eyed: Dutch police to train birds to take down unauthorised drones. The Guardian, February 1. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/01/dutch-netherlands-police-birds-unauthorized-drones. Accessed 26 December 2016.
- Torres, T. 2015. Candy Crush players spent over a billion dollars on in-app purchases last year. Tech Times, February 13.Google Scholar
- Urry, John. 2007. Mobilities. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Which? 2016. The best latest smartphones. Which, 58–61.Google Scholar
- White, Richard. 2015. Following in the footsteps of Elisee Reclus: Disturbing places of inter-species violence that are hidden in plain sight. In Anarchism and Animal Liberation: Essays on Complementary Elements of Total Liberation, ed. Anthony Nocella, Richard White, and Erica Cudworth, 212–230. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Press.Google Scholar
- Wolch, Jennifer and Emel, Jacques. 1995. Editorial: Bringing the animals back in. Environment and Planning D: Society and Space 13 (5): 632–636.Google Scholar
- Young, Kenneth. 2016. Biogeography of the anthropocene. Progress in Physical Geography 40 (1): 161–174.Google Scholar