PV-Fed Eleven-Level Capacitor Switching Multi-Level Inverter for Grid Integration
This paper presents new photo-voltaic electrical power generation system, and this system consists of a DC (direct current)-to-DC power converter and multi-level inverters. This DC-to-DC converter combines a boost (step-up) converter and isolated converter (forward) with a coupled inductor to convert the output voltage of the solar panel fed PV array into different voltage sources. This eleven-level multi-level inverter is constructed using a full-bridge power converter and a capacitor selection circuit. These circuits are connected one by one, i.e. cascade. The capacitor selection circuit (CSC) is the combination of capacitor and transistor switches which helps to produce five levels of DC voltage from DC-to-DC converter output voltage. Then, H-bridge inverter converts this stepped level of DC power into AC power. By this way, the proposed solar power-fed eleven-level inverter produces a nearly sinusoidal output power and it produces very low THD which is less than twelve percentage. The important feature of this inverter is that only eight power electronics are used. The power produced from this multi-level inverter is same phase with the utility power.
KeywordsPhoto-voltaic (PV) array Capacitor selection circuit Multi-level inverter (MLI) Maximum power point tracker (MPPT) Total harmonic distortion (THD) Amplitude (Amp)
Authors remit their graduate to DST-TSDP (No. DST/TSG/WM/2015/557/G) Government of India for financial assistance.
- 1.Miracle, D.M., Pouresmaeil, E., Bellmunt, O.G.: The control scheme of 3-level Neutral point clamped inverter for integration of inexhaustible energy resources into Alternating Current (AC) grid. IEEE Trans. 6(2), 242–253 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.Akagi, H., Hasegawa, K.: Low-modulation-index operation of a 5-level diode-clamped Pulse width modulation inverter with a (direct current) DC voltage-balancing circuit for a motor drive. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 27, 3495–3505 (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Srikanthan, Mishra, M.K.: Direct current capacitor voltage equalization in neutral clamped inverters(NPC) for Distributed STATCOM application. Inst. Electr. Electron. Eng. Trans. Ind. Electron. 57, 2768–2775 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Chaves, M., Silva, F., Pinto, F.: Novel approach in back-to-back m-level diode clamped MLC modelling and Direct Current (DC) bus voltages balancing. Inst. Eng. Technol. Power Electron. 3, 578–589 (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Jesus, G.A., Barros, Silva, A.: Predictive optimal control of Neutral point clamped multi-level converters. IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron. 60(2), 619–627 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Hossaini, S.H., Gharehpetien, G.B.: Double flying capacitor multi-cell power converter based on the modified phase shifted pulse width modulation (PWM). IEEE Trans. Power Electron, 25 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Thielemans, S., Ruderman, A., Reznikov, B., Melkebeek, J.: Improved natural balancing with modified phase-shifted pulse width modulation for one leg five-level flying-capacitor multi-level inverters. IEEE Trans. Power Electron. 27(4), 1658–1667 (2012)Google Scholar